Body fat %

Options
I've started my diet last week and this app is helping a lot. I started art 145. I used to eat pretty clean and I eliminated my morning muffin and pasta. I still indulge in a dark chocolate square and a glass of wine. My daily calorie is approx 1400 but I ended up eating less than that. Let's say I'm just scared of over eating.
I bought a smart scale yesterday, downloaded the app that goes with it and I got on it. I wanted to cry, my body fat percentage is 35%! I'm 5'3, 143lbs, BMI 25 and it says I'm considered obese! I swear I want to cry. Oh I also workout but I'm starting to workout everyday instead that 3x a week.

Any suggestions to get this body fat down asap???

Thank you!!!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Scales are not accurate for measuring bodyfat
  • MsVanLo
    MsVanLo Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    How would I have to measure it correctly?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I agree, the scales aren't accurate.. don't let a random number discourage you.
    Instead I would use the mirror, measurements and photos to measure your progress with time.

In terms of lowering BF%, be sure to keep your deficit reasonable (not too high), keep your protein adequate, (about 0.8-1g protein per lb goal weight), and lift weights (following a progressive program for most optimal results) which will all help to retain muscle as you lose to help lower your bodyfat percentage.
  • Daddy78230
    Daddy78230 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Bioimpedance body fat measurements are not accurate - I did a Dxa body composition scan several years ago before I gained a lot of weight, but I continued lifting weights. When I got my scale a few years ago it was way off - I couldn't have lost that much muscle while gaining weight.

When I set the scale to "athletic mode" it came close to my original Dxa scans results.

Though I know it's not accurate I still use it to track my progress. I'm planning on doing another dxa scan when I'm closer to my goal weight to determine where I'm truly at in regards to my body composition.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Those scales can't tell the difference between fat and water...they aren't accurate for measuring BF%. You can do a visual estimate...

BF-Female.jpg

My trainer uses calipers on me...I think he uses 5 different points.
  • brookielaw
    brookielaw Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    A BMI of 25 is "overweight," not obese. A loss of 2 pounds would change that BMI to "normal." This assumes you are 25 years old but redoing the calculations to make you 40 would still have you at "normal" with a 2 lb loss. Please bear in mind that the BMI scale was invented in the 1830's.

BF% measured by scales can vary immensely based upon a number of factors, including how much you recently ate, how recently you exercised, and how hydrated you are. They may be a nice general guideline but they can over or underestimate your BF%. I believe calipers are supposed to be more accurate and a DEXA scan would be the most accurate. A BF scale won't tell you how the fat is distributed, etc.

Unless your overall health is suffering, panic over these #s may be premature. What are your health goals? What does your doctor say? This response is coming from someone who used to be super morbidly obese and has done a lot of research, not a medical expert, so as with everything on MFP, take it with a grain of salt.