Maintain muscle and lose fat

Options
I'm wondering if there's anyone that's done this. I want to do a lean bulk is that possible?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Well lean bulk meals gaining muscle in a surplus while minimizing fat gains. So you would have a small surplus. You can try recomp which is eating around maintenance and following a good progressive overload lifting program and you should see some fat lose and muscle gains, but it's not very fast if you have a timeline or a specific number you are trying to hit.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Your title and post are not the same thing but yes both are possible.
  • triniricks371
    triniricks371 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I basically want to cut but and the same time put muscle on
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

If you have been lifting for a few years your chances of gaining muscle while losing weight are nearly non-existent.
    If you want to maintain weight while dropping fat and adding muscle it's a recomp.
    A lean bulk is where you gain weight slowly to minimize fat gains and add muscle.

Which of those do you really want because your title, first post, and this latest comment are all different things.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    edited April 2017
    Options

The recomp might be your answer.

ETA: I say might because there are a lot of factors, such as: genetics, how much muscle have you already gained, are you natty or not, your training program, etc...

But we would all love to burn fat and gain muscle, but it isn't always effective.
  • triniricks371
    triniricks371 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys I'll look into recomp
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I've done it.

Lost 10# of fat, gained 10# LBM while maintaining weight at just under160 while reducing %BF from 16.2 to 10.1,% in 4 months.

See my "Ready to Recomp" thread in the Maintaining Weight Sub-forum for details.