Beans!

Options
Leah_62803
Leah_62803 Posts: 292 Member
What do you do with beans? Like easy recipes? Preferably lower calorie.

I know that sounds silly but growing up we only ate white beans with cornbread. I'd like to incorporate more beans in my diet because I like them and I always need more protein. Do you just throw them in salads and such?

Replies

• Tweaking_Time
    Tweaking_Time Posts: 733 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    This is what I could think of quickly...delicious too BTW

Enchilada Casserole

Ground (93/7) Beef 1.0 lbs 680 cal.
    Enchilada Sauce 10 oz. can 75 cal.
    Rotel 10 oz. can 68 cal.
    Onions 1 tbspn 0 cal
    Taco seasoning 1 tbspn 10 cal.
    Corn tortillas 4 servings 280 cal.
    Mexican Cheese 224 gms 320 cal.
    =======
    1433 calores

Serving ¼ recipe 406 cal.

Black Beans 10 oz. can drained optional

Brown ground beef - add onions and season to suit while cooking. I use salt, pepper, garlic powder and the taco seasoning
    Add Rotel and Enchilada sauce - simmer for a while until thickens (maybe 30 to 40 minutes)
    Add black beans to above if you want

Once thick enough, remove from heat.
    Place 1/2 of skillet in baking pan, add 1/2 of the tortillas and the cheese on top
    Place rest of skillet on top of prior and add the remaining tortillas and top with remaining cheese
    I shred my tortillas

Place in oven for a few moments to melt cheese and serve.

Depending on your components, 1/4 recipe is about 360 calories (430 if black beans used)...I also make my own enchilada sauce which really adds to the flavor and decreases the calories. Canned enchilada sauce is fine too though!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    My favourite meal when I was little was a baked potato, split in half with baked beans and cheese....it was easy enough to make myself when I didn't like what my mum was cooking :)

Also love making chili with kidney beans, and adding beans to the base for shakshuka.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I really like black beans spiced with cumin and chilli powder. Try them also with corn, tomatoes, and bell pepper.
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    now that "summer grilling season" has started for us here, i'm on the hunt for more types of salads. found this "cold white bean herb salad" on youtube: https://youtu.be/7P49UPPOztU

there's an associated blog, "foodwishes.com" - contains lots of good recipes and advice. with a number of beans options. i've used lots of chef john's recipes and advice over the last year.

anyway, i had a couple cans of white beans in the pantry, so this was a good, easy choice. the whole assembly was less than 10 minutes. family loved it. i made it as presented, but did add chopped scallions i had previously prepped and stored in the fridge. also used high-quality freeze-dried herbs i keep around, since i had no fresh on-hand, and used cayenne rather than the "aleppo" pepper he mentions. let it sit for an hour or more to gather flavor before serving.
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    ... oh and i made the dressing on the side to whisk/emulsify it, and poured it over the salad when mixing.
  • Hoppymom
    Hoppymom Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    I make a salad that is on the back of a can of Kuner's of Colorado Southwestern Black Beans. Drain the beans, combine with 1 chopped sweet red pepper, 1stalk of celery; chopped, 1/2 of a medium onion;chopped. Add 1/4 up of your favorite Italian dressing. I use Kraft Zesty Italian. You can add a dash of hot sauce and /or a squeeze of fresh lime to finish it off. It gets eaten at every picnic I take it too. I make a double batch and leave half for my BIL when we go to the lake. He loves it and he's a picky eater. It's pretty healthy. I rinse the beans some to reduce the sodium. Lots of protein and fresh veggies. Add cilantro if you like it. Very versatile.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,944 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I have beans every day. Love love beans. Any Latin food goes well with beans.

I also make my own baked beans and then put turkey kielbasa or chicken sausage slices in it along with fresh peppers and onion - side of cornbread and vegetable - a favorite meal.

I made some fresh homemade hummus yesterday. Sooo much better than the store bought stuff. :)
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,129 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I have beans daily. I always make them from scratch. I pick a "Bean of the Week" and cook up a pound of them in my slow cooker (soak Saturday overnight and cook Sunday). They last for the week :) These are some of my favorites - Cowboy Caviar is the ultimate!

COWBOY CAVIAR

Into a large mixing bowl:

2 cups cooked black beans (or 1 can drained)
    1 can white sweet corn, drained
    2 roma tomatoes, diced
    2 avocados, diced
    1 bunch green onions, tops only, chopped

Vinaigrette:

¼ cup Avocado Oil or Extra Virgin Olive Oil
    ¼ cup Red Wine Vinegar
    1 tsp garlic powder
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp pepper

Whisk vinaigrette together, pour over veggies and stir to combine.

VEGETARIAN CHILI

1 ½ cups cooked kidney beans
    1 ½ cups cooked pinto beans
    1 can Dakota Pride Mild Chili Beans (my secret weapon-only thing I buy at Aldi’s)
    1 onion, diced
    2 green bell peppers, diced
    1 can diced tomatoes (do not drain)
    2 ½ cups water
    1 tblsp chix bullion powder (vegan)
    1 tblsp chili powder
    1 tblsp garlic salt
    1 tblsp cumin

Bring everything to a boil and cook until onions and peppers are soft – about 15 minutes.

DEVILISH CHICK SPREAD

3 cups chickpeas, cooked
    1 cup vegan mayonnaise
    2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    1 tablespoon yellow mustard
    1 teaspoon curry powder
    Season Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
    2 tablespoons finely chopped chives

Combine everything except chives in a food processor fitted with the metal blade. Pulse on and off until the mixture is nicely melded, but don’t puree—leave a little texture. Add the chives through the feed tube and pulse on and off a few times to whirl in

THREE BEAN SALAD

1.5 cups cooked kidney beans
    1.5 cups cooked chickpeas
    2 cups cooked green beans
    1/2 white onion, finely diced
    1/2 green bell pepper, finely diced

Dressing:

2 T olive oil
    2 T apple cider vinegar
    parsley, salt & pepper to taste

Mix dressing, stir in beans, onion and bell pepper and let marinate for at least 2 hours.

LOADED BAKED SWEET POTATO

(ingredients listed tops 2 sweet potatoes):

Combine 1/4 cup beans (red, black, white, pinto...your choice), 1 diced tomato, 1/2 diced onion, 1 tablespoon ground flax, 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast, 1 tablespoon lime juice, cilantro, salt and pepper. Mix it all up and top the sweet potatoes.

I usually just stab the potatoes with a fork several times and microwave them for 10 minutes and they turn out perfect!
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I love beans. I add northern beans to my greens and sausage soup. Onion, garlic, red pepper flakes, a small amount of Italian sausage, your greens of choice and chicken or vegetable stock.

I make refried black beans.. saute onion and a finely minced Serrano or jalapeno pepper..and a teaspoon of cumin and Adobe seasoning. Then add drained black beans and add broth or water to desired consistency.. simmer 10 or 20 min. Mash the beans and add broth if needed. Fantastic with roasted sweet potatoes.

Black bean soup..use above recipe but also add a small can of Mexican style tomato sauce. And more broth.. better the 2nd day.

Vegetarian chili.. I use kidney, black and pinto beans.

I also love lentils. Red lentils in a Thai red curry/coconut milk soup.Onions, jalapeno and ginger to start add red curry paste, a T of tomato paste, a cup of rinsed red lentils and 3 cups of water. Finish with a can of diced tonatoes and coconut milk. Delish. Add a sweet potato if you like.