Building muscle after weight loss. Total Gym XL?

So a little about me first. I weighed my highest at 355 in 2014, and now I'm at my lightest at 250 (I'm 23 years old). So far I have lost a total of 105 pounds and that also means I will have a lot of extra skin... I still have about 50 more pounds to lose, and I would like to fill up all the "extra space" that I can if it's possible before considering skin removal surgery.

I have a total gym XL, and I was wondering if just that alone will work. The only parts of my body that I want to fill in with muscle is my chest, stomach, back, and arms. Of course I want to work on my legs, but can I really bulk those up on a total gym XL? I currently have sciatica problems, and it's slightly getting better, so legs are something that I want to stay away from until it's better.

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    I don't think you will see the results you want from a total gym XL.

Sorry to hear about your sciatica problems. Hope things improve fast.

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    I don't think you will see the results you want from a total gym XL.

Sorry to hear about your sciatica problems. Hope things improve fast.

I would agree. My physical therapist's office has one and I used it for shoulder rehab. Great for that, but would not be of much value for normal resistance work, except for a beginner/someone very deconditioned. I think if the OP gets on a good program he will quickly outgrow it for compound movements. Might be okay for some isolation work.

Also best of luck with the sciatica. Have you checked with a doctor to determine the root cause?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    is joining a gym an option /
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Considered a good home DB set with a bench? You would be surprised how much you can do with dumbbells. If you are new to lifting a set that goes to at least 50# would probably be all that you would need for a long while.
  • nancyrose99
    nancyrose99 Posts: 1 Member
    Hi Todd, you can raise the incline on the Total Gym to increase resistance and I think they also have an attachment that you can add add'l weights to the machine, you should be able to get a reasonable amount of muscle for some time, then once you outgrow the total gym you can graduate to heavier weights at a regular gym or dumbells/kettlebells like jseams mentioned. As a nurse, one thing I want to mention is that you would do well to wait 1 year after you have reached your goal weight before going for skin removal surgery, that way you skin will have had a chance to shrink down and stabilize. You are young, fingers crossed that maybe you won't have as much excess skin as you think you may have. Good luck on your journey, you are doing great so far!!!!