Tips on losing 2lb a week?

Options
I'm about to start my new diet/lifestyle to reach my ideal weight. In order to reach it I would like to lose 2lb a week. If anyone has any tips on losing this amount I would be extremely grateful! Please comment any ideas that you found helpful as it would really help me reach my ideal weight! Thank you

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
  • hannahfoster123
    hannahfoster123 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you, I hadn't yet so will have a look now!
  • kayeroze
    kayeroze Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I eat 1270 calories a day at a 1.5 lb/wk loss, and I can tell you that you will want to eat as many exercise calories that you can without overestimating. A HR monitor like a fitbit or Garmin will help with the accuracy (i have a fitbit blaze). The most cushion I would give if you're unsure at first with exercise calories would be between 50-250 calories since you'll want to net 1200 calories over the course of the week, otherwise, you might have a series of binge weeks/days (i did the first time I tried last year). You won't want to over do it with the cardio because of the rapid weight loss you're trying to achieve, and instead have 2-3 days focused on strength only And on cardio days, try to add in 10-15 minutes of bodyweight exercises. This is also to help with muscle deterioration and potential for saggy skin (other factors include age, genetics, rate of loss, amount of loss, etc). And with overestimating, you'll want to get a scale and be accurate about portion sizes and calories as well. You'll want to meet nutritional goals with adequate enough protein, fat, and fiber. Personally speaking, from a satiety standpoint, I aim to have all snacks and meals include some form of protein, fat, or fiber. For me carbs are an add-on/filler and not as important except before workouts. Also, don't be upset if some days go like 500 over, remember that you're at a 1000 calorie deficiet. Even going over some, still means you're at a deficiet. Your entire journey most likely won't be 2 lbs every week, there will be fluctuations, especially closer to your goal.
  • mlkelley1215
    mlkelley1215 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm about to start my new diet/lifestyle to reach my ideal weight. In order to reach it I would like to lose 2lb a week. If anyone has any tips on losing this amount I would be extremely grateful! Please comment any ideas that you found helpful as it would really help me reach my ideal weight! Thank you

My calorie intake a day is 1330 but I also replace a meal with a smoothie.
  • judybsx5
    judybsx5 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I think realistically 1.5lbs a week is doable. I find I can't stick with it if I don't set smaller goal.. my husband recently started controlling his pre diabetes with life style, diet and exercise changes. He has a Bluetooth scale and weighs every morning.. weight goes right to his Dr. for a consultation on do's and don't later. This helps me as I can follow along and benefit too. this website will be great for me. I can have my own food journal here. I value all advice! Ready set go!
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Hi, Hannah. This is the 2nd thread you've made on this topic, and you never replied to some important questions in the first thread. Before people offer more tips on "how to lose 2 lbs/week", it would be good to know that's an appropriate goal for you. Many choose 2 lbs/week as a goal because faster is better, right? But it's not appropriate or healthy for everyone. Of course, not everyone wants to answer questions about their body & health on the internet, in which case the links @diannethegeek (and I believe a commenter on your other thread) posted should get you started. :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,508 Member
    Options
    If it's 1% of your current body weight, then fine. If not, the 1% of your body weight a week is what you SHOULD shoot for.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png