Breastfeeding and trying to gain weight!

Options
Is anyone else here trying to gain weight whilst breastfeeding? My pre pregnancy weight was about 110lbs, I put on about 2 stone when I was pregnant and then by the time my son was 4 months old I weighed 85lb, after making absolutely no effort to loose weight!

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Yup!! I am 15 months pp and started bulking/gaining when I was around 8 months pp. It is tough because you have to account for all the calories from breastfeeding which can be a lot... But it is possible!
  • emmacymru
    emmacymru Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Same here ladies daughter is 17 months and lost so much weight I now feel unhealthy :(
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,360 Member
    Options
    What did your doctor say about the unexplained weight loss. Are you sure you didn't undereat deliberately, your user name raises a red flag.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    The question seems legit, extreme weight loss is something that has happened to me too while breastfeeding, but the name is weird to say the least.
    In, any case, you need to eat. A LOT more than you are currently eating.
    Add cooking fat, oil or butter to everything and keep high calorie snacks, like nuts, with you at all times.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    What did your doctor say about the unexplained weight loss. Are you sure you didn't undereat deliberately, your user name raises a red flag.

that was my first thought too.

OP what are your stats, how many cals are you eating at the moment?
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    I lost a lot of weight each time I breastfed. You really do have to eat a LOT - I was told an extra 500 calories just to maintain. And get as much rest as you can (no dashing about trying to catch up on chores while the baby is asleep!)
    You may have lost weight whilst pregnant too - this also happened to me.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options

It seems like the OP has deactivated.

I also added around 500-600 calories to my maintenance to maintain, and then 150-250 on top of that to gain. It is a lot of calories. :o