Bigger Arms - Frequency/Types of exercises

Options
2»

Replies

• TaninaFit
    TaninaFit Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    loftus4827 wrote: »
    If you're not willing to gain any weight then you won't get any bigger. Simple fact that for muscle hypertrophy to occur you must be in a hyper caloric state. Can't make somethin out of nothin bro....
    Noted!
    Listening and learning!
  • Seant456
    Seant456 Posts: 70 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    you want big arms you need to lift heavy and I also full rang of motion on every rep and concentrate and hold at the top of the movement almost like im flexing the tissue during every rep.... there is no special formula just give it time and they will grow good luck
  • evilokc
    evilokc Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    you can do forearm curls and reverse grip forearm curls. they will add strength and size to your forearms. I would also prioritize triceps. they are the larger arm muscle and you wont ever have arms that are powerful or look powerful without big triceps. I know losing weight is important but remember once you lose the weight whatever you have under there is what your going to look like. if you want to be skinny or skinny fat than just lose weight. if you want to be toned or muscular you need to build a nice muscular base.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Z_I_L_L_A wrote: »
    It's funny how you get advice from some people that don't have big arms. But they are an authority on the subject. It's like I don't have big arms but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. Been lifting for 6 months type of people and now they are experts,lol.

How you defining big arms? Because this is the equivalent of saying overweight people cant give you advice on weight loss.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    It's funny how you get advice from some people that don't have big arms. But they are an authority on the subject. It's like I don't have big arms but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. Been lifting for 6 months type of people and now they are experts,lol.

How you defining big arms? Because this is the equivalent of saying overweight people cant give you advice on weight loss.

Yeah, and? Would you ask a salesman how to fix a car or a mechanic?
  • Keto_N_Iron
    Keto_N_Iron Posts: 5,385 Member
    Options

:D:D:D:D:D:D well yea... Just like on here... they can... But I wouldn't listen to them
  • cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    My arms are kind of big for a girl, but I'm not going to give advice based on that.

All I was going to say is that Shaun Stafford often posts his workouts on Instagram, and those are some SERIOUS arms right there!
  • JAYxMSxPES
    JAYxMSxPES Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Funny how these discussions digress. LOL!

A lot of it comes down to pure volume. Whether it's once a week or split-up multiple times a week, it doesn't seem to matter a whole lot. Dr. Schoenfeld posted some research about this topic a couple years ago and you can probably still find it on his web-site, I'd suggest giving it a read.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    edited January 2018
    Options

Not exactly a good analogy. Because someone can get big arms through the use of a good coach. In fact, they only need to follow a prescribed plan, work hard, with little to no knowledge. Hell, you can go onto Instagram of FB and find tons of these clowns.

So if your definition based on 16", 18", 20"? Do they have to be natty? How much do they have to lift? Or is this, you know it when you see it type thing?
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I grew my arms, after I lost fat. I targeted them at least twice per week with isolation exercises, plus whatever compound work I was doing. I had to gain weight. No way they were getting much bigger without that.
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

I kind of agree with you hoss. Still, if someone has put on lean mass in those 6 months I would listen. Maybe not as much as to the guy who has huge arms and lifted for years. The guy who lifted for years might be an idiot that is doing some bro-science isolation to 20 reps, and the guy for 6 months might be doing compound heavy lifts that follow researchers data like Schoenfeld. Who would you listen to then?

This same argument comes up in powerlifting. Should you only listen to guys with an elite or higher total? I don't as some of these guys are phenomenal athletes but maybe not the best coaches or as knowledgeable for lifters of lesser abilities. I still listen and draw my own conclusions.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    edited January 2018
    Options

Not exactly a good analogy. Because someone can get big arms through the use of a good coach. In fact, they only need to follow a prescribed plan, work hard, with little to no knowledge. Hell, you can go onto Instagram of FB and find tons of these clowns.

So if your definition based on 16", 18", 20"? Do they have to be natty? How much do they have to lift? Or is this, you know it when you see it type thing?

It was a good analogy because I wouldn't ask a skinny guy thats never had big arms on how to get big arms. Same as I wouldn't ask a car salesman to fix my car, I'd ask a mechanic. If I see I guy with big arms I know he has learned how to get them there. Yeah, I would listen to his spill. So bombard yourself with the internet videos and you're an authority on big arms even though you haven't physically put in the work. People that come out of school are book smart with no real applications of what they've learned. Experience it yourself and figure out what works for you. Also what works for one may not work for another. I'm 6'3 with 6'6 finger tip to finger tip arms, I have long forearms too. The longer the muscle the longer it takes to get proportionately big. A 6'6 bodybuilder would take twice as long to build the physique of a 5'6 guy. I hit all angles of the bicep and tricep, they are big (20")but not body builder proportionate. I power lift and do incorporate some bodybuilding ideas. Bottom line find out what works for you by doing it yourself. I'm 51, I learned in the gym from asking other guys that were successful in the gym. At the bottom of my post is not - I'm certified in this and that or that I went to school and have a degree in building big arms. I love power and size. I'm 6'3 260 lbs with a 420 lb bench, can curl 185 strict at age 51, my knees are shot my back is shot. But I will still compete in what I can. Oh yeah, and that elite lifter had to start at the beginning so to say by one of the other posters they may not know how to help a beginner that doesn't quite ring true to me. I love helping people in my gym. Wished someone would have corrected me back in the day about lifting.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Options
    Okiludy wrote: »

I kind of agree with you hoss. Still, if someone has put on lean mass in those 6 months I would listen. Maybe not as much as to the guy who has huge arms and lifted for years. The guy who lifted for years might be an idiot that is doing some bro-science isolation to 20 reps, and the guy for 6 months might be doing compound heavy lifts that follow researchers data like Schoenfeld. Who would you listen to then?

This same argument comes up in powerlifting. Should you only listen to guys with an elite or higher total? I don't as some of these guys are phenomenal athletes but maybe not the best coaches or as knowledgeable for lifters of lesser abilities. I still listen and draw my own conclusions.

I trained my nephew since he was 10, started with light weight, high reps until he grew more and got the form down. He is 15 and holds state records in power lifting. This past winter we started him on a diet of 8 meals a day and 2 a day work outs, for 6 months. He gained 25 lbs of muscle and a ton of power while still staying lean for wrestling. I don't do bro-science or internet fitness video's. I would listen to someone who has been there and done that. Not repeat something he saw on video while staying at a Holiday Inn Express the night before,lol. You can lift for years and not get anywhere I agree, if thats the case then he's not very smart or didn't want to learn how. I don't carry a log book when I lift or a calculator. I know what I did the last workout. It depends on how I feel, how the weight feels, how the routine feels. If I'm not feeling it I change it up. I want the pump and the power so I change it up quite a bit.
  • SDpanda619
    SDpanda619 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I find the best way to get bigger arms is to go heavy and be careful not to overtrain. Twice a week max and also consider when your arms are being used in other body parts. It takes time. Close grip bench, skull crushers, and preacher curls are all great exercises to build size and strength