Wanting muscle mass but susceptible to weight gain

Options
I am very susceptible to weight gain, most likely because I messed up and slowed my metabolism down when I was losing weight because I ate such little calories. However, I would like to start building muscle and toning my body. I understand that you must eat in a surplus to gain muscle mass, but if I eat that many calories my weight shoots up and my stomach sticks out. I am by no means fat (5'7" 120lbs) but if I drastically increase my calories everyday I will gain fat and it all goes to my stomach. Any ideas how to find a balance?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Are you currently eating at maintenance?

You only need a small surplus of 250cals to gain muscle slowly, but you will also gain some fat.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    We are all "susceptible" to gaining weight if we eat too many calories. You wouldn't need to "drastically" increase your calories, just a little bit. At 5-7 and 120 you are on the extreme low end of BMI and could stand to gain some healthy weight. I'm 5-7 and 155, which is at the high end of the BMI range and people tell me I look great. You find the balance by doing weight training along with increasing your calories.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    To reduce fat gains, keep your surplus minimal around 125-250cals and follow a lifting routine for best results. Keep in mind that more cals/more food can bloat you by the end of the day. You should see me before I go to bed.. ha.

I agree you are at a good place to bulk at your stats.. about where I was when I started my first bulk. Now I am quite a bit heavier and definitely am happier with my body composition.