Compound Movement exercise questions

Options
Hi all,

I posted a thread earlier and a couple of people suggested about trying compound movement exercises. I did some research and think it looks like exactly what I am after. I only have time to work out after the kids go to bed 4 or 5 times a week.

Being so used to isolation Some questions I have:
1 - Are there some good program examples that people could provide?
2 - Can you do the same exercises two days in a row?
3 - Do I need equipment other than free weights?

Thanks all!

Replies

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Look up Staring Strength and Stronglifts which are 2 beginner programs doing 5 compound lifts 3 days a week. You'll probably need a bench, squat rack or stands and 45# barbell w/about 250# of plates to start.

I've done both programs and prefer Starting Strength but there are a lot of Stonglifts fans on MFP too.

Read up on the programs and choose the one that you prefer.

Realy not much difference beteeen them. A 3x5 routine and Power Cleans doing Starting Strength vs a 5x5 routine and Rows with Stronglifts. Both only do 1x5 with deadlifts but I think that you could do 3x5 or 5x5 with deadlifts too.

I also think that you could drop the 5th compound lift and just do the basic 4 - - squats, deadlifts, bench press and overhead press - - and achieve the same result.

But you should just stick w/the program as written when just starting out.

Ultimately, you'll have to decide for youself what you think is best for you.

Good luck!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,081 Member
    Options