Need some advice.

Options
I am male 48, Weigh 12 stone. BMI 24.7 BF% Estimated at 27% using Health status online measurements calculator. BMR 1622 using calorie counter.

For 2 months I have been walking every 2-3 day 10000 steps and burning according to app on phone 300-400 calories.
Also weight lifting beginner program 5x5 alternating strong lifts program.

I started on 1500 calories and gain some definition and muscle. 3 weeks.
Then increased to 1700 and this continued 2 weeks.
Then now 1900 for past 3 weeks.

During this whole time I have been drinking between 2-3 litres low sugar squash or water, tea and coffee to make that fluid up.

I have been eating 45 carbs,
25% fat
30% protein.

I weigh food and measure fluids, almost religiously, last 4 weeks.

In the mirror, I appear to have lost a bit of fat all round (early on) and gained some muscle. However my weigh has stayed static the whole time.

Before I started this routine I estimate I ate poorly, junk food at possibly 1500 (probably under estimating).

The last two weeks I am visually wondering if my fat levels have not really dropped further.
Though it appears I am still building small amounts of muscle or possibly just definition.

I think 1900 is 50 below maintenance for me sedantry lifestyle. But am burning 300-400 x2 and 150 x3 per week via walking and weights (if that is accurate).

I am unsure of where to go next. I wish to continue to lose as much fat as possible down to 18-20% and then reconsider, whilst trying to hang onto muscle.

How should I proceed to eat and should I consider changing my exercise routine?

Kind thanks for any suggestions.

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
  • DaleLatham1
    DaleLatham1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi

Weigh yourself first thing in the morning on an empty stomach (after using the toilet) and record this. At the end of the week you can then have an average for the week and gain a more accurate reading.

There are a number of things that can affect your weight (previous carb intake ((water storage)), glycogen levels, cell swelling etc) so doing if at the same point each day ensures a more accurate picture.

After doing this, if you have indeed plateaued, then you have a number of options.. Possibly look at increased TDEE via NEAT (walking more, stand instead of sitting etc), reducing calorie intake, refeeding (unless you are relatively lean then this maybe an option to use at a later date), or having a diet break for 2-3 days eating around maintenance to refuel, spike your metabolism and then hopefully you will see the weight drop again.

Also.. remember as a newbie you can gain small amounts of muscle whilst in a calorie deficit (recomp) so the scale weight may not reduce as you would expect due to muscle weighing more than fat.

Hope this helps, any questions then shoot me a message.

Dale
  • Chromatickorg
    Chromatickorg Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yes thanks the two of you, strange the scales didn't move for weeks, I figured it was because I was putting on a little bit of muscle and losing some body fat. Though over the last few days, the scales have shifted they are now telling me I have lost 3-4 pounds, I don't think my scales are that great, but they have definitely moved. Also I dropped my calories down from 1900 to 1750. I will see what happens. Losing or gaining weight isn't so important, but I was just a bit perplexed by the total non movement, must of just been a balance. Also re-did my bf %, by tape measure and although that's considered not accurate, I have gone from estimated 27% to 22%, I look visually by my photos like its decreased. I guess I'm getting a handle now on my numbers for everything, and it will continue to be more precise as I get to know my intakes, outputs and the affects, fine tuning so to speak. But I'm happy, thanks for the advice.