What am I doing wrong?

Options
Hi!
I am 18, female, 5ft6in and about 105lbs. I exercise 5-6 days a week (HIIT 2x, Lifting 1-3x, and Cardio 1x) and walk about 8000 steps a day. On average, I eat 1200-1600 calories a day. Lately in the gym, I've noticed I've been having trouble lifting my normal weight and doing as high intensity as before. I worry I'm getting weaker or losing muscle mass. Is it possible I'm overtraining? What can I do to get my strength back and gain more muscle?

Replies

• Muscle_for_Fitness
    Muscle_for_Fitness Posts: 2,198 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    In order to gain muscle and weight, you need to be eating in a surplus. That calorie intake is very low for your stats and most likely is nowhere near the amount you would need to fuel your workouts and build muscle. Definitely start eating more. Either use MFP set to gain (and account for exercise calories) or another calorie calculator. If you still aren't gaining, keep adding calories every week (150 or so) until you are.

Exactly this. Sounds like you are eating at a decent size deficit which will cause that in the gym.
  • stevet621
    stevet621 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    In order to gain muscle and weight, you need to be eating in a surplus. That calorie intake is very low for your stats and most likely is nowhere near the amount you would need to fuel your workouts and build muscle. Definitely start eating more. Either use MFP set to gain (and account for exercise calories) or another calorie calculator. If you still aren't gaining, keep adding calories every week (150 or so) until you are.

Agreed!
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    With that much activity and such low calories, you are likely in a calorie deficit. Eat more or do less cardio.
  • blackcomaro
    blackcomaro Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Agree with all the above... those cals are low comsidering your activity
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSUvnD-fziS6XkaU48Y7l51ugNyyM4CeYJ1oEVAcKigYkbh_cx-7u83iDc
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    edited April 2017
    Options

To add to this, it should also be noted that doing a lot of cardio and not really doing a lot of resistance training is a good plan to gain mostly fat. Following a well structured lifting program (like one of the ones in this list) is going to provide you the results you want.
  • JB035
    JB035 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    My thoughts exactly.... you are not fueling your body enough to perform..
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    for a reference point - 5'3", 148lbs and I take in 22-2500cal a day and I'm essentaining maintaining and I have a similar workout schedule