Looking for healthy ways to gain weight

Options
I've tried just about everything imaginable to gain weight.. from high calorie intakes, protein shakes, exercise, hormone therapies, literally everything and I cannot gain anything. I am under weight and according to my doctor, gaining weight, the healthy way, will get me to where I need to be and will help me feel physically better as a whole. Any tips or suggestions?

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    i don't understand what you mean that you tried "high calorie intake" and did not gain weight. gaining weight is all about being in a calorie surplus. When you "tried" high calorie where you weighing and logging everything you ate, or were you just assuming you were in a surplus because you ate "a lot"
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    What steps has your Dr taken to work out what medical issues you have that are preventing you from gaining weight despite eating a lot of calories?

(if you have no medical issues, what do you consider "high calorie", and how were you determining how much you were consuming?)
  • shawnamj99
    shawnamj99 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I tracked everything. Even every drink I took. I have other medical problem so it is a lot harder for me to just gain weight.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    shawnamj99 wrote: »
    I tracked everything. Even every drink I took. I have other medical problem so it is a lot harder for me to just gain weight.

what is your medical problem? It would of been nice to have listed that in your OP so that we can try and give correct advice...
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options

How many calories were you eating? Has your Dr referred you to a dietician to help you eat a diet that fits your needs? Is there no medical intervention possible?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

what is your medical problem? It would of been nice to have listed that in your OP so that we can try and give correct advice...

why was this flagged?????????????????????
  • shawnamj99
    shawnamj99 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    @livingleanlivingclean my dr/dietitian is the one who told me to track my calories. With that being said, I am on a daily medication, but it's still not helping. I am just trying to take matters into my own hands at this point..
  • ndj1979
    Options
    @livingleanlivingclean my dr/dietitian is the one who told me to track my calories. With that being said, I am on a daily medication, but it's still not helping. I am just trying to take matters into my own hands at this point..

i would suggest supplmenting with some high calorie dense foods likes oreos, ice cream, bagels, pasta, etc
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Gaining weight the healthy way means limiting fat gains and the rate at which you gain. Ideally, a surplus of 10-15% over your maintenance level while including resistance training will make the results ideal.

Unfortunately, without knowing your current intake and how it's impacted your weight over time and/or your medical conditions, it's hard to provide you direct advice. So I'll just leave the below threads.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10326769/are-you-a-hard-gainer-please-read/p1
  • ejsilvi
    ejsilvi Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Do a powerlifting workout 3 to 4 times a week try the 5x5 n eat 500 to 800 calories at every meal 5 to 6xs a day - egg milk fish meat chicken oats rice sweet potatoes white potatoes seeds n nuts good luck ...
  • psuLemon
    Options
    ejsilvi wrote: »
    Do a powerlifting workout 3 to 4 times a week try the 5x5 n eat 500 to 800 calories at every meal 5 to 6xs a day - egg milk fish meat chicken oats rice sweet potatoes white potatoes seeds n nuts good luck ...

Why would you recommend a women eat 2500 to 4800 calories without knowing her maintenance calories or even her stats? That is a good way to get fat, which is not the healthy way.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    I have medical issues that make it difficult for me to gain weight. Calorie tracking is sooooo important. Eat what you can, with the exception of any food your body can't tolerate (if applicable). You already got some advice regarding food, but also make sure you get adequate amounts of sleep and do some strength training. If you can't strength train now, any light exercise like walking and/or yoga will be good to get your blood flowing without burning too many calories.
  • ejsilvi
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

Why would you recommend a women eat 2500 to 4800 calories without knowing her maintenance calories or even her stats? That is a good way to get fat, which is not the healthy way.

Well she did say in her post she wanted to put "weight on " 2500 calories is not that high if she is lifting 4 days a week doing a powerlifting workout look at what a crossfit woman eats n that train hard
  • psuLemon
    Options

Well she did say in her post she wanted to put "weight on " 2500 calories is not that high if she is lifting 4 days a week doing a powerlifting workout look at what a crossfit woman eats n that train hard

Just because there is a path for one person, doesnt make it appropriate for the OP. Yes, 2500 may be a good level but it also might be really aggressive. If anything, id recommend using a tdee calculator, tacking for 3 to 4 weeks and adjusting based on actual results.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options

Powerlifting is not comparable in the slightest compared to crossfit, when thinking about calorie burns.

Your advice is absurd! I bulk on 4000 calories and I am 220lbs
  • ejsilvi
    Options

Powerlifting is not comparable in the slightest compared to crossfit, when thinking about calorie burns.

Yeah but u probably lift a lot more than this woman so u use more and u are cut up so u burn even more Iam 220 too n I do about 3500 too if she had failed at everything she had done then may be she needs to go over well over to add muscle on , she just needs to find what works for her ...
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    OP, are you working out? Not sure if you included that in post.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Yeah but u probably lift a lot more than this woman so u use more and u are cut up so u burn even more Iam 220 too n I do about 3500 too if she had failed at everything she had done then may be she needs to go over well over to add muscle on , she just needs to find what works for her ...

Without knowing her medical condition it is impossible to say
  • landshark28
    landshark28 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Calorie surplus...