Sciatic pain after running

Options
jaymijones
jaymijones Posts: 171 Member
edited April 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
I just started running again after not really running since high school gym class. I've been at it for about a month. At first I just ran for short bursts in between walking, and didn't go very far, a little less than a mile. The biggest reason I haven't run before is that I get terrible shin splints and usually give up after less than a week. This time I went to a running store and bought the recommended running shoes and haven't had a problem with shin splints at all. Today I finished week 1 of the C25K program. Everything seemed like it was going well, it even seemed too easy but a few days ago my sciatic nerve started giving me trouble, I didn't think anything of it at first, I just figured I slept on it wrong, but it's gotten worse and I realize it's probably because of the running. It's bad enough that I'm thinking about ditching running again and going back to my bike and elliptical. I'm already doing yoga daily and I do strength training daily as well, I've been doing both for well over a year. I've had sciatica in the past but it's never been this bad and was always during pregnancy.

I don't want to quit runnng, my neighborhood isn't really bike friendly and taking it elsewhere isn't feasible, and I don't want to go back to the elliptical because I want to be outside. But this pain is only getting worse.

Anyone have a solutions?

Replies

• bigmuneymfp
    bigmuneymfp Posts: 2,235 Member
    Options
    Start squatting
  • jaymijones
    Options
    I already do, multiple sets several times a week.
  • mayafit405
    mayafit405 Posts: 61 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Stretching before and after? Or, I'm not sure what kind of surface you're running on but I've found running on grass or a track actually decreases my hip/back pain when it flairs up.
  • jaymijones
    Options
    I'm running on sidewalk. I don't usually stretch right away, I come home and do my strength training right away while I'm still warmed up. Then I do about 15 minutes of yoga after that. Should I be stretching in between?

I could definitely do better about stretching before I go out.
  • ABabilonia
    ABabilonia Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    One thing that has helped with sciatic pain is foam rolling. You may need to consult a doctor, though, to make sure that the nerve doesn't get aggravated.
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Yeah. Foam roller and a lacross ball to really get into your glutes (I lean against the wall with the ball between my butt and the wall). I also make sure to stretch out my bum muscles extra to try to help them relax.
  • ABabilonia
    Options
    Yeah. Foam roller and a lacross ball to really get into your glutes (I lean against the wall with the ball between my butt and the wall). I also make sure to stretch out my bum muscles extra to try to help them relax.

Were you able to eliminate your sciatic pain? I try to foam roll every day, and still have a minor discomfort. I can run, but still I feel I minor pinch.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,506 Member
    Options
    If you have sciatic pain, then it's from compression on the nerves likely originating from your lower back. MAY get better if you strengthen your core and low back muscles.
    You DON'T have to run. Walking is great too. Just walk fast.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • jaymijones
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. I think I have a foam roller somewhere.

I recently added more core strengthening to my routine, I guess I should add more.

Should I stop running until the pain subsides, or can I keep running?
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    ABabilonia wrote: »

Were you able to eliminate your sciatic pain? I try to foam roll every day, and still have a minor discomfort. I can run, but still I feel I minor pinch.

Yes and no. I see the chiropractor on the regular, and I don't run any more (more strength training vs. cardio). The chiropractor combines with the ball (more specific, pointed release) helps a ton.
  • jaymijones
    edited April 2017
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    You DON'T have to run. Walking is great too. Just walk fast.

I want to run. I already walk, a lot. It doesn't get my heart rate up enough anymore. I want to know if it's something I'll ever be able to do without pain. I've tried unsuccessfully so many times. I don't want to fail one more time.
  • ABabilonia
    Options

Yes and no. I see the chiropractor on the regular, and I don't run any more (more strength training vs. cardio). The chiropractor combines with the ball (more specific, pointed release) helps a ton.

Thanks for the​ tip. I will try to look for exercises with the ball. I actually went from no running at all despite my sciatic pain. To the OP, I went to the doctor because of my pain and I asked him if I should keep running. He told me yes, but as soon as I start to feel discomfort to stop.
  • jaymijones
    Options

Thanks for the​ tip. I will try to look for exercises with the ball. I actually went from no running at all despite my sciatic pain. To the OP, I went to the doctor because of my pain and I asked him if I should keep running. He told me yes, but as soon as I start to feel discomfort to stop.

I don't feel the pain during the run, up until today it's always been only in the evenings. Today it hurt all day even before my run, except while I ran. But everything hurt then, but I think that it's because I had to use my jogging stroller today.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    disclosure: i wreck myself every time i try to run, so add grains of salt. i lift and cycle and recently had to add some walking as well, and i've had some of my own battles with sciatica and sciatic-like stuff recently. here are some thoughts and some of the things i've investigated while i've been chasing mine down. but like i said: apply your own salt.

- pelvic alignment. and/or sacro-iliac function/movement.

- piriformis, glute medius, glute maximus, quadratus femoris and biceps femoris are all muscles that can either interfere with your sciatic nerve if they get antsy, or can feel like they have.
  • lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    When I had this, it was from a combo of running and sitting for long periods of time. It gave me tight hip flexors. Hip flexor stretches, better sitting posture, and making a point of getting up throughout the day helped a lot.
  • ferd_ttp5
    ferd_ttp5 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Really always happening to me too, thats why I don't love running. I would rather cycling up or play table tennis (ping pong) up whole day than to run.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Not to scare you, but my sciatica was from a herniated disc and I needed surgery. If it persists, see a doctor. There are a number of reasons one gets sciatica and the fix can range from simple stretching and strengthening to surgery. You can do more harm than good if you don't know why you're having it and continue to work through the pain.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I would definitely see a doctor just to be safe. Do you have access to a softer surface? Running on sidewalks may be too harsh on your spine, and definitely works on your core strength and learn how to brace.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    roll/stretch your glutes and hamstrings. If that doesn't help, go have it looked at.
  • jaymijones
    Options
    I'm not sure seeing a Dr is going to help me. I'm seen by a military Dr. I can pretty much guarantee that he'll prescribe a giant bottle of Motrin and tell me to just stop running, but won't be willing to do much else for me. My husband has had back pain for years, Motrin and heat/cold therapy has been the only solution he ever gets from military Drs for years.