Those who've been at this awhile... do you get sick if you cheat?

Options
I'm eating better than I have my entire life in all honesty, and now seeing a dietician she has helped me even more. There are days, maybe once a month or so, where I crave and just go off the rails and screw up the entire day eating out etc... by the evening, like a couple nights ago, I was sick as a DOG!!!! So much gas and stomach cramps and I'm in an out of the bathroom for about 2 days... I think I have a mini binge and it really affects me, big time! It's not that I eat too much, it's what I eat, and I immediately regret it. Does anyone have advice for how to incorporate a cheat meal, or whatever you may call it, that won't get me so sick? I always look at it as- well I screwed up, let me finish out the day and get my cravings out of the way

Replies

• fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I don't cheat, per se, but I do have planned occasions when I exceed my calorie goal or diet breaks when I eat at maintenance.

Nothing really makes me sick, except I did eat some potato chips at Subway (within my calorie goals) that tasted super duper salty to me after not eating potato chips in many months.

I'm sure if I plowed a huge full-sugar Pepsi, a king-size candy bar, and two bags of cheese crackers I might feel a little off, but I hope I've curbed that habit. That used to be a daily afternoon snack for me. Not only does it not sound appetizing, it doesn't fit into my calories most days or sound very appealing.

I'd rather save my calories for a big dinner or having some ice cream for dessert!
  • TheCupcakeCounter
    TheCupcakeCounter Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Yes and no.
    I usually don't have a cheat/binge day but I will plan around a meal or a special dessert where I decide I am not going to worry about the calories. I find that it is easier to stay on my preferred track when I know I have a time slot in the not too distant future when I can have that thing I really love without having to make a lot of sacrifices to get it. I also make sure to get some good exercise in and make sure my other intake that day is on point.
    I make sure I have one sweet and one salty thing a day and that helps me keep control too. Today is was part of a Oh Yeah! One bar (cookies & creme) and some salted cashews. Tomorrow I have some cracked pepper and olive oil triscuits and extra sharp white cheddar on the menu - better than potato chips IMO.

As for the yes, I cut all added sugars out for two weeks and then got really sick the first day off that plan. However I should mention that a lot of the sugar I had that day came from alcohol. I went a good 3 weeks before a cookie or any cocktail sounded even remotely tempting.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    There's no bad food. As long as it fits your calories... heck I made an almond chocolate croissant fit this morning. Just a lighter lunch and I still have more calories than I usually do for dinner to boot. I just exercise/walk more to make it fit.

Just log everything and ask yourself if it's worth it to eat that much at once when you could just make it fit in your days... in moderation.

This, exactly.

I keep an eye on nutrition and fill in the rest with my favourite treats. Never sick.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I never get sick from food.
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Currently I have 1 "splurge" meal a week. However, this past week I've had a little chocolate every day and it fit into my calories for the day. Every once in a while my stomach gets a tiny bit upset or gassy if I drink soda, but not often. (I mainly drink water and coffee.)

Good luck
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you may have encountered food poisoning.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    If I eat the less nutritious foods in the volume I used to, yeah, it doesn't feel good. I'll get crampy or lethargic or bloaty.
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »

^This is what I was going to say.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

unless you have experienced it...yah I could see why you would say this but it's not...
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

unless you have experienced it...yah I could see why you would say this but it's not...

How do you know? OP hasn't replied back and unless she's PMing you, you're guessing as much as the rest of us.

I don't get sick from over eating. I actually feel great after an IDGAF day.
  • Cat3141
    Cat3141 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I'm not particularly fond of concepts like "cheating" or "bad foods". What I will say is that there are certain foods that I used to eat regularly, that I cannot eat as much of as I used to without feeling ill. For example, I like french fries, and I do still eat them, but if I eat a whole plate full like I used to, I feel terribly sick to my stomach. I can only imagine that if I spent an entire day, or even part of a day, eating a whole bunch of food like that, I'd probably feel even worse. As for what to do about it, if you want something, have it, just don't eat so much of it you feel sick, and try not to let one thing you ate trigger eating a whole bunch of other foods that may also make you feel ill.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,986 Member
    Options
    ebaroldy wrote: »
    I'm eating better than I have my entire life in all honesty, and now seeing a dietician she has helped me even more. There are days, maybe once a month or so, where I crave and just go off the rails and screw up the entire day eating out etc... by the evening, like a couple nights ago, I was sick as a DOG!!!! So much gas and stomach cramps and I'm in an out of the bathroom for about 2 days... I think I have a mini binge and it really affects me, big time! It's not that I eat too much, it's what I eat, and I immediately regret it. Does anyone have advice for how to incorporate a cheat meal, or whatever you may call it, that won't get me so sick? I always look at it as- well I screwed up, let me finish out the day and get my cravings out of the way

Without more information, I can't tell if the problem is what you ate or how much of it.

Dinner for me is normally 500 calories. If I eat 1000, I'll be uncomfortable. Regular serving sizes of bday cake and ice cream make me feel sick.

But to feel like you did, I'd have to eat something that had gone bad or eaten way way over what I normally eat. And as I reread your post I think this is the case - you were sick from overeating? Maybe just eat a little more all the time and you won't feel the need to 'go off the rails'?
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    If I blow calories by the thousands (like I will for RibFest in July lol) I know I'll feel a little ill because of high fat macros when I'm used to 50/day but if I'm over by 1000 because I ate a Big Mac combo then no, but I will probably be very full
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    I have a wimpy-*kitten* stomach so a lot of eating-out things give me gas. Thanks, Dad. Mom doesn't have this problem, lol.

I really think the over-eating with the extra salt is what kills me in the end. I have had a few nasty binge eating sessions in the past, and there were nights I used to eat so much food with so much salt that I would have a hangover in the morning. No alcohol the night before, just food. Those weren't pleasant, to say the least.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    By "off the rails" I'm assuming you just stuffed your face...IMO, that never feels good and never has felt good. I eat less nutritious food items occasionally, but I don't stuff myself until I feel like I'm going to explode.

I eat pizza most Friday nights...it doesn't make me sick and I don't eat so much of it that I would feel sick.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I get sick if I take in a lot of sugar in one sitting now. (I'm looking at you, unicorn frappuchino I had last week...) I still do eat sugar in moderation though.
  • kksmom1789
    kksmom1789 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I get extremely sick to my stomach with burping and acid re-flux if I eat too much it's really not what I eat just when I eat ALOT my body is just used to small meals now. Kinda crazy when I used to eat as much as my husband if not more he used to brag to all his friends on how his girl was a champ eater now I can't do that at all
  • Lizzypb88
    Lizzypb88 Posts: 367 Member
    Options

Nope not food poisoning because it happens every time I have a whole day of sweets and fast food, some times it's not as extreme, but the other day was by far the worst! My hubby reminded me of devouring tons of a cookie cake, so that may have been enough to throw my intestines into a mood. I've had stomach flu etc which I hear can be as bad as food poisoning, and this wasn't that bad... close though