Creatine

Options
vegmebuff
vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
Those that have used this- have you noticed an increase in 'strength'? I am currently recovering from a medical condition that has resulted in muscle atrophy.

Wondering if Creatine has made a noticeable improvement in your usage (muscle growth/atrophy, etc.,) Currently I am using a Whey protein powder.

Thanks for your replies:)

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    It makes a significant difference clinically, but not one that you're going to be able to measure. Well, unless you have some pretty awesome lab equipment that I don't.
  • HoldTheDoor13
    HoldTheDoor13 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    It's hard to say, because typically you are taking creatine at a time that you're going to be seeing strength gains anyway, I.e when you're bulking, hitting the gym harder etc.

That being said I feel like it gives me a bigger pump at least.
  • domeofstars
    domeofstars Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Firstly, I am sorry that you have muscle atrophy and I hope you that your health and strength improve. Secondly, I do take creatine and at the moment I'm doing a combo of cardio and strength training. I haven't really noticed a difference.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    It's been a while for me since I've used it last, but yes I saw a small increase in strength and muscle growth. Also in water weight.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    Options
    vegmebuff wrote: »
    Those that have used this- have you noticed an increase in 'strength'? I am currently recovering from a medical condition that has resulted in muscle atrophy.

Wondering if Creatine has made a noticeable improvement in your usage (muscle growth/atrophy, etc.,) Currently I am using a Whey protein powder.

Thanks for your replies:)

It gave me stomach cramps, although, I may try it again. But coming from an injury, your body should respond better. Outside of noob gains, coming off an injury is one of those things that allow you to gain muscle semi quickly.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Create increases ATP production, which is a celluar function that produces rapid energy during time of stress (or something to that effect). It will help you squeeze out a few more reps.

It also draws more water into cells which explains why some experience cramping and a little weight gain.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I've been taking creatine monohydrate for about 4-5 months now. I didn't notice any weight gain that I could place as being beyond normal day-to-day fluctuations, and I haven't noticed any significant difference in pump or strength that I could place as being beyond normal progression in my strength training. No cramping/stomach upset at all, but I drink a lot of liquids every day - I'm always well-hydrated, creatine or not.

In theory, the main benefit is as kwtilbury said - you should be able to squeeze out a few more reps. I can't say for sure if it's even helped that because I still have my normal fluctuations in the gym - some days the weights go up easy, other days it's a grind.

Clinical studies clearly show that creatine is beneficial, but there are also non-responders for various reasons. I don't know if I'm a non-responder or maybe just a minimal responder, but it's cheap to keep taking it so I do. I figure at the very least it can't hurt anything.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    Creatine does help with muscle atrophy. I am not sure of the chemistry behind it, but I have a very good friend with muscular dystrophy and one with a disease similar to ALS that both take creatine daily with good results. They take more than I use to improve my lifting performance and have their kidney function checked often.

Good luck with your health.
  • Deadlifting_Away_Doritos
    Options
    I have used it off and on for about 20 years and I've only seen benefits in strength and size.
  • brdnw
    brdnw Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    it's also like one of the absolute most reviewed supplements ever. All research has found only positive results from it.
  • vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your input. I certainly need to do 'something' to start getting some strength! It's becoming hard even to walk at times!!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    Options
    vegmebuff wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for your input. I certainly need to do 'something' to start getting some strength! It's becoming hard even to walk at times!!

Creatine won't increase strength directly. You have to put in the work. What it might do is allow you to push out a few more reps. But if you are struggling to gain significant amounts of strength, especially if you are new to lifting, that bigger question is, what is your program you are following?
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    No noticeable effects after taking it daily for 6 months. Stopped taking it, also with no noticeable effects 5 months later. Threw out what little I had left.