So... why the kitten is there soy in everything?

Options
I'm reminded of the great HFCS wars of the late 90s/early 2000s when everything inexplicably had corn syrup in it.

I bought some lipton green tea today. I put a bag in my cup and noticed the label said, "Contains Soy". Why is there soy in my green tea? Why is every company and it's brother using soy lecithin as its emulsifier?

Is there a massive over production of soy and everyone is trying to get rid of it? Is it just cost efficient? (why the kitten is it in tea leaves?) Is it a government conspiracy? Am I going to grow hair in weird places from it? I don't get it. It's in everything lately. "Soy lecithin" is everywhere.

Replies

• Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    cmtigger wrote: »
    Sometimes it's put on the package because it's an allergen and the tea or an ingredient was processed in a plant near where soy was processed.

I investigated further, and apparently it's an emulsifier for the "fruit solids" they put in (it's green tea with goji berry, which for some reason has a list of ingredients 10+ long).

Time to go on a google adventure and find out how soy lecithin is poisoning everyone, making men grow breasts, women grow mustaches, and all an illuminati plot. I should have read the ingredients before purchasing this tea. I just assumed incorrectly it would have been... you know, tea leaves and dehydrated fruit
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I used to pride myself on avoiding soy. Until i started reading food labels and discovered it's in just about everything!!
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I don't mind soy lecithin, tastes quite nice sprinkled on oats etc.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Soy is a cheep product and supposed to be "healthy". As mentioned above babies can react to the stuff, especially those who are prem. Most chocolate is produces with soy lecithin these days. As someone with Hashimoto's thyroiditis, I must avoid soy, it majorly disagrees with my system because I naturally lack the required enzyme. Its consequence of being hypo our general enzyme production is reduced contributing to food intolerances. It is probable that soy is in the factory where your tea is being packed or processed.

I also have issues with maize starch! Now that is everywhere too. Maize starch has similar emulsifying activities being used to replace fat in some recipes. I even found maize starch used to separate grated cheese, soy may be there next.
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    It's cheap.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Options
    I've just discovered soy is not helpful for those with histamine intolerance!!!!! I've been HIT twice by it, and 7-10 day old legumes sprouted in the dark increases their dao content x apx 5, and may help balance histamine if liquidised or put into a smoothie.
  • roboliciousbob
    roboliciousbob Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    annacole94 wrote: »
    Want to know what's fun? Some babies can't tolerate the mom eating soy if they're breastfed. And yes, it's in everything. It's cheap and effective, so it's everywhere.

This was my eldest and I. He had Milk Soy Protein Intolerance(MSPI). Which is completely different than being lactose Intolerate BTW. I had to go on a special diet. Even some spices have soy in it. I had to be very very careful, basically ate very fresh and not a whole lot of processed anything. It was nerve wracking trying to make sure my food was safe. And I LOVE dairy. I tried the version of cheese without soy or milk.....I have nothing nice to say about it. It made it almost impossible to eat out or even eating at other people's houses(like parents when we visited). Thankfully he out grew it by the time he was one and I don't have to worry about him being in pain and miserable from accidentally eating something with milk and or soy.

So I feel yah. If milk wasn't in something, soy was usually bound to be.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,509 Member
    Options
    Yo soy ninerbuff.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Many things may be derived from soy like xanthan gum but, because of allergies food companies are required to list it in their ingredients.

Also, it is cheap, easily available, and farmers are planting it instead of corn as more people are trying to avoid HFCS. The government subsidy to plant soy is almost as much as the one to plant corn.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    For the same reasoning HFCS is "in" everything.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    It doesn't concern me that my packaged food has soy as a common additive. Why does it concern you if you do not have an allergy?

• earlnabby
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    It doesn't concern me that my packaged food has soy as a common additive. Why does it concern you if you do not have an allergy?

In my case, the phytoestrogens in soy causes benign breast cysts. Small incidental amounts seem OK but I do have to watch how much I ingest.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

In my case, the phytoestrogens in soy causes benign breast cysts. Small incidental amounts seem OK but I do have to watch how much I ingest.

But why should it bother people who don't have a medical issue with soy.

I'm allergic to dogs and apples. I don't claim that they are bad for everyone, just bad for me. Apples are in a lot of things as a sweetener.

I do get angry at people who bring their dogs everywhere and lie that they are service dogs, but that doesn't just hurt me, it hurts people with real service dogs. (It's common where I live and there was recently a thread on a local Facebook group where people admitted to it.)
  • earlnabby
    Options
    cmtigger wrote: »
    earlnabby wrote: »

But why should it bother people who don't have a medical issue with soy.

I'm allergic to dogs and apples. I don't claim that they are bad for everyone, just bad for me. Apples are in a lot of things as a sweetener.

I do get angry at people who bring their dogs everywhere and lie that they are service dogs, but that doesn't just hurt me, it hurts people with real service dogs. (It's common where I live and there was recently a thread on a local Facebook group where people admitted to it.)

I guess I am misunderstanding your issue. The OP is wondering why there is soy in so many things. That is a valid question because it doesn't seem to be necessary to include it in some of the things that DO contain it.

You are right though, in the end it only affects those who have medical issues with it.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Options
    It should bother people who are not aware of soy's presence in their food and that it is a phytoestrogen and a goitrogen and allergen. Even medics are not always aware these trivial things will add to oestrogen dominance which amplifies a tendency to a range of health issues.

The problem is you often don't know about these things till you have been having irritating, increasing none specific issues for a very long time, that's if you're lucky. As an intolerance soy can induce the usual allergy like responses, repertory problems, rashes, digestive problems - to less frequent and none specific abdominal pain. Ultimately it can cause anaphylaxis, and without an eppi pen, its curtains.

So as the OP askes, Why is soy in so many food products? When it causes life restricting issues for so many and life limiting problems for others.

I really wish international governments would think and keep up to date with all the allergies and intolerances their populations are subjected to. I've know for 5 years, since she was born, my youngest granddaughter was diagnosed with soy allergy when she could not take milk and reacted to the soy substitute the hospital gave her!

Its impossible to expect a 5 year old not to want the bar of chocolate like her class mates, that she has to think she can't have her brothers home made birthday cake because it will contain soy (its in many margarines and we know to avoid it) and she will have difficulties were she to go to a friends party.

Today I discovered her sisters G-d's 2 and 3, are now also diagnosed with soy allergies. This allergy can extend to other beans.

(I'd go for soy being in the tea to keep the leaves apart in the same way maize starch is put into bought in catering bags of grated cheese both maize and soy are very cheep)
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Fuzzipeg wrote: »
    It should bother people who are not aware of soy's presence in their food and that it is a phytoestrogen and a goitrogen and allergen. Even medics are not always aware these trivial things will add to oestrogen dominance which amplifies a tendency to a range of health issues.

The problem is you often don't know about these things till you have been having irritating, increasing none specific issues for a very long time, that's if you're lucky. As an intolerance soy can induce the usual allergy like responses, repertory problems, rashes, digestive problems - to less frequent and none specific abdominal pain. Ultimately it can cause anaphylaxis, and without an eppi pen, its curtains.

So as the OP askes, Why is soy in so many food products? When it causes life restricting issues for so many and life limiting problems for others.

I really wish international governments would think and keep up to date with all the allergies and intolerances their populations are subjected to. I've know for 5 years, since she was born, my youngest granddaughter was diagnosed with soy allergy when she could not take milk and reacted to the soy substitute the hospital gave her!

Its impossible to expect a 5 year old not to want the bar of chocolate like her class mates, that she has to think she can't have her brothers home made birthday cake because it will contain soy (its in many margarines and we know to avoid it) and she will have difficulties were she to go to a friends party.

Today I discovered her sisters G-d's 2 and 3, are now also diagnosed with soy allergies. This allergy can extend to other beans.

(I'd go for soy being in the tea to keep the leaves apart in the same way maize starch is put into bought in catering bags of grated cheese both maize and soy are very cheep)

Expecting a government to worry about every allergy or intolerance out there is impossible and somewhat unrealistic. It could be nice in some situations like air travel, but the vast majority of day to day life, no.