Body 4 life, anyone else doing it?

Options
I did it before and had great success now im starting again May 1st. Anyone else doing it?

Replies

• mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Not right now, but I did last year to lose the little bit of weight I had gained and get back into shape. Went from about 22%BF down to 15%. You can't go wrong with it. It's a solid program.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    I did it before and had great success now im starting again May 1st. Anyone else doing it?

I did it years ago and had some success. This time I'm on a 100 lb journey and am taking more of a slow and steady approach that I can maintain for at least a year, not a 12 wk race.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I've been doing body for life lifting off and on for years. I do not follow his diet plan but I totally credit how I learned to lift/exercise with helping me lose baby weight after each of my kids. When it came time to lose this time (I gained after a severe injury) I just naturally went back to BFL. I've never met too many people that do it. I like it!
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Isn't it one of those eat every three hours bs diets?
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I did it years ago. It worked phenomenally well, but I'm far too lacking in motivation and energy to do it now. I credit it as the biggest positive influence on my body image and the thing that most helped my disordered eating issues.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    So it sounds like many have done it, stopped it, repeated it, want to to it again. Why not just learn how to eat for life and skip the gimmicks???

BTW - I have the original book from 10+ years ago. Too much bro-science for me.
  • mom23mangos
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    So it sounds like many have done it, stopped it, repeated it, want to to it again. Why not just learn how to eat for life and skip the gimmicks???

BTW - I have the original book from 10+ years ago. Too much bro-science for me.

There are no gimmicks. It is a way of eating for life. No different than what most people recommend. Maybe a little lower fat. Exercise program is solid hypertrophy bodybuilding program. Only reason I'm not doing it now is because I have different goals right now. I am working towards some strength and skill goals.
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I am doing the exercise. I like only 20 minutes on the treadmill. I like the way the lifting is structured. I did the whole program years ago losing weight for the first time. I'm now back to lose my pregnancy weight.

I naturally eat every few hours (I'm a hypoglycemic) so it works for me. I do track macros though so I don't really follow his eating plan. I always thought it was too many calories for me. And after weighing out grams of precooked oatmeal this week (for the first time)- I am now sure of it.
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I started weight lifting through BFL when it first came out, I think it's great for beginners who know nothing about diet and exercise. It was the first time I planned my meals out for a week, the fist time I logged my diet, and the first weight lifting program I followed.

I've been planning out my weeks ever since but I now now log calories and don't think about meal timing, I build my diet around portioning my foods.

When I'm between programs, I will follow the basic exercise plan.

Anyway, what I guess I'm saying is that BFL provided me with the basic tools that I have been using successfully for almost two decades.

• mom23mangos
    Options
    Luna3386 wrote: »
    I am doing the exercise. I like only 20 minutes on the treadmill. I like the way the lifting is structured. I did the whole program years ago losing weight for the first time. I'm now back to lose my pregnancy weight.

I naturally eat every few hours (I'm a hypoglycemic) so it works for me. I do track macros though so I don't really follow his eating plan. I always thought it was too many calories for me. And after weighing out grams of precooked oatmeal this week (for the first time)- I am now sure of it.

Ha! I was the opposite. I had to come to MFP to log because I naturally overestimate. I wasn't eating enough.
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Why not just learn how to eat for life and skip the gimmicks???

I learned how to eat for life decades ago. Knowing and doing consistently are two completely different things. And why is it a gimmick to follow the exercise plan guidelines someone wrote in a book rather than following the exercise plan my personal trainer creates for me or the one I create for myself in my MFP diary?

BFL is also where I most learned not how to eat, but how what I eat affects my mood, hormones, energy levels, hunger levels, cravings, etc, and I still use that knowledge every day. And it's where I first learned about HIIT and how to begin a strength training program. It's also where I learned how easy it was to gain muscle and lose fat despite all the posts I read on here telling me it's near impossible.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    If you do a 'diet' and then stop, then go back, then stop again, are you really learning anything? That's my point. Plus, in the original book I read there's a lot of nonsense. The book was written from a promotion to sell EAS products in the 90's.
  • maytes4u
    maytes4u Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I am ready to do body for life and was liking for a support team on Facebook but could not find one. How do support teams happen on my fitness pal?
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    If you do a 'diet' and then stop, then go back, then stop again, are you really learning anything? That's my point. Plus, in the original book I read there's a lot of nonsense. The book was written from a promotion to sell EAS products in the 90's.

Much of the book is about setting and tracking goals. 12 weeks is a typical training cycle. Set goal. Revavluate. Set new goal. Much of it can be applied to anything, not just weight management.

Everyone is trying to sell something, but there is some solid advice in there if you look for it.
  • mom23mangos
    Options
    maytes4u wrote: »
    I am ready to do body for life and was liking for a support team on Facebook but could not find one. How do support teams happen on my fitness pal?

You can create a group. I'll join even though I'm not running it right now for support and to share what I learned. It'll probably be pretty small though since it isn't the current fad and a lot of people don't know about it.
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options

I agree to some point. I don't use any was products. I liked the book because it was so simple. Sometimes weight loss books get so complicated. Granted it's been forever since I flipped thru the book so maybe I wouldn't agree now.

I never "dieted" and then "stopped". But life and pregnancies totally threw me off. Sometimes completely unavoidable.
  • mom23mangos
    Options
    I never used any of the products either. Mainly because I can't stand the taste/texture of protein bars and shakes. I've finally found one bar I like (Pure Protein) and one drink (Nectar Roadside Lemonade). But most of my protein comes from real food. I eat a lot of seafood.