Question about logging exercises- help appreciated!

Options
I got an app to do some home workouts (Home Workout by Fitness22). I've added some different exercises to a custom workout I want to do (leg lifts, crunches, bird dogs, etc) and there is about a dozen exercises I have in the workout. My question is this: how do I log the workout as a whole? Must I put in each individual exercise? If so, how do I know how many calories I've burned? Because some of my exercises are not on the list here on MFP. And it seems very time consuming to log a dozen different exercises. Maybe this is a dumb question but I can't figure it out. Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Replies

• jennypenny6375
    jennypenny6375 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I suppose I can put it under circuit training. Would this be the most appropriate placement? It just seems like it's not very exact to just do that since exercises will vary with each person's exercises within their workout. Maybe I'm just over thinking all this...
  • getupforchange
    getupforchange Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I would invest in a HRM. I have a polar watch one with a chest strap and log everything I do as one workout. The watch will tell me my calorie burn based on my actual heart rate throughout the workout so what the exercise was is less relevant. If I go to the gym and do stretches, then a 15-20 min warmup on the treadmill and then 45 mins of heavy weights I logg that under cardio and just put in the burn from my HRM and how long it took me. In the notes I can note reps and weights and stuff if I want but for the calories here it doesn't matter what type of exercise it was and it takes 3 seconds to log.

If you put different exercises in here on MFP and just go off the burn generated by the site or app it's probably not all that accurate for you. It's an estimate only and if you're eating those calories back you want to make sure the number is right for you and your body. Same with workout machines in your gym. The treadmill will tell you what the calorie burn is but it's an estimate only and not a number you should take as fact.
  • jennypenny6375
    jennypenny6375 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks to those who replied! I appreciate the insight!
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I would put it in as calisthenics, circuit training, or aerobics. It won't be exact, but neither will be entering each individual exercise. Start with eating half the calories you get and see where it takes you.

This. I find the most accurate in the database is the "light calisthenics" entry.
  • robinmarkz
    robinmarkz Posts: 93 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I use Map My Fitness. Sometimes you need to self-evaluate your RPE, your HR moniter, and then choose the closest choice. Sometimes, when I do the laundry, the exertion of the activities really get you to break a sweat, do stoop labor, and your heart rate goes up at least to the fat burning zone or higher. Since there is no "laundry," "gardening" describes it best.

My HR strap is the Tickr Run and it accurately matches the RPE. My heart has a very low ceiling due to a beta blocker that I take, but I just set the max to produce zones that match almost exactly with the RPE. This gives me a sensible calorie guide.

Many congrats on creating a custom fitness routine.