I need help!!!!

Options
I'm just starting out with fitness after having my son (he's now 15.5 months!). I've been walking with him a lot but my cardio is rubbish!

I want to do the c25k challenge but am a bit scared. I don't go to the gym, although I would do this eventually but I want to get my cardio up first. My son is walking now and on the move all the time and I want my energy levels back up.

Can anyone help me with the c25k? Any tips?

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    The tip is just to start. You're already walking a lot, which is great! When you can walk briskly for 45 minutes, you'll be ready to start C25k. C25k just adds in very short & SLOW run intervals. You repeat any weeks you need to. No one is keeping track except you. If I could do it at age 61 having never run before in my life, I'm sure you can do it. Sometimes we just need to get out of our own heads!
  • getupforchange
    getupforchange Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    When you go for walks anyway, maybe even with the stroller if that's what you do, make them 5km and pick lamp posts or trees... when you get to the first one you've picked/spotted, run or jog until you reach your second one. Then walk between the next two, then jog again, then walk and repeat. Do that a few times and next time try to skip a couple of "walk" bits. Run those instead. Eventually you will be able to run the entire way and ta-daa... you will have done 5km. Easy peasy if you put in some work and take it nice and slow. Build up your stamina slowly.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    C2 5k is not scary, and you can repeat weeks if the next is too difficult. I used it several years ago, and can now run 5-7 miles at a time(I'm not really interested in going further). You can do it with a stroller. Just go at your own pace and don't worry about going faster.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I agree, the biggest tip is - just start. It's a program for very beginners, so you don't have to do anything to prepare.
  • megan_elizabeth8
    megan_elizabeth8 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Just do it! Also, a big mistake many people make is trying to go way too fast at the start! Run as slowly as you need to, (I felt like I could walk faster than run at the start haha) build up your stamina, and speed will come with time! :smile:
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Just do it! Also, a big mistake many people make is trying to go way too fast at the start! Run as slowly as you need to, (I felt like I could walk faster than run at the start haha) build up your stamina, and speed will come with time! :smile:

Completely agree with this.