setting to not use calories you've earned back from exercise in our food diaries?

Options
al_schwing
al_schwing Posts: 23 Member
edited April 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
Sorry if this has been asked before, but is there a way to set in our food diaries to not use or add back the calories we earn from exercise to our calorie allowance? I know i can just subtract myself, but was wondering if there was an easier way or a setting in my diary that im not seeing?
I have my premium account linked to my fit bit so it automatically adjusts my calories or adds to my calories for the day.
I am trying to not use my calories I earn from exercise if possible. Id rather dip into them if needed.... but i still like to see what ive earned for motivation purposes!
Unless we are supposed to be eating them back? Im 5'5" and need to lose 45 lbs.

Thanks.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,982 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    You can enter your exercise as a "measurement"...I'm not sure I'm understanding your issue.

Measurement would be something you add yourself in "Check in."

For instance I have steps there, or mileage of walks/hikes, or reps of resistance sets...it doesn't give calories, but I can see it and track it in Check in.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/measurements/check_in

You can add new measurements here: ("Track additional measurement" link on the "Check in" page)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/measurements/change

Alternately, you can add exercise and adjust it to 1 calorie.
  • al_schwing
    Options

Edit: and yes, your deficit has been set with the assumption that you eat back your exercise calories. Some worry about them being inflated or prone to error, and eat back a portion. When I do this, I again set the correct duration of exercise and then manually adjust the calories.

sorry i didnt put in original post, but I have my account linked to my fit bit so it automatically adds it back in instead of me manually adding exercise. I was wondering if I can have a setting to not add it automatically onto my calories and just see what ive earned for calories & pick if i want to eat those calories?
  • medic2038
    medic2038 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Mine is off by default as far as I know. I literally don't ever log exercise calories (I also don't do much cardio at all either so).
    What I do (and it works quite well for me) is I use my current goal weight x10 for my daily intake. I adjust that every 10lbs.

So basically right now I'm eating at 1600 calories per day (because my next step goal is 160, current weight is 168). Because it's incremental you're adjusting somewhat frequently.
  • TheChaoticBuffalo
    TheChaoticBuffalo Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Go to My Home and then Goals. Scroll down on the Your Fitness Goals page to the Fitness box at the bottom of the page. Click on the Edit button in that box. Make the necessary changes in the When I Log an Exercise box and click the Save Changes button. Hope that helps.
  • al_schwing
    Options
    al_schwing wrote: »

Ah. That actually changes your question pretty significantly. How would your fitbit be able to tell what is and isn't purposeful exercise?

good question! i think it just adds it up because of my steps. but i think it over estimates my extra calories. i guess maybe the best thing to do would be just un-sync my fit bit and manually add my exercise.....
  • marcystrongarm
    marcystrongarm Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I "disconnected" my Fitbit from my account so it didn't add the exercise calories back in.
  • al_schwing
    Options
    I "disconnected" my Fitbit from my account so it didn't add the exercise calories back in.

i was thinking about doing that too! im trying to figure out where i do that , lol
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Not having your exercise calories added to your total is a Premium feature.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    If you want to disconnect. Go to Apps, click on My Tracker, it will take you to next page where you can click Disconnect. Hope this helped.
  • al_schwing
    Options
    If you want to disconnect. Go to Apps, click on My Tracker, it will take you to next page where you can click Disconnect. Hope this helped.

thank you!!
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options

thank you!!

You are welcome :)

I can never decide if I want to have the calories or not. They sometimes encourage me to eat more. :(

• al_schwing
    Options

thank you!!

I can never decide if I want to have the calories or not. They sometimes encourage me to eat more. :(

thats whats happening for me! i am thinking i can eat more!! :(
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Under goals, the last one at the bottom says turn of exercise calories. The calorie burn still show under the exercise tab, but it won't add back the calories.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options

thank you!!

You can!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

thank you!!

That's actually the point of MFP's exercise calories
  • al_schwing
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    Under goals, the last one at the bottom says turn of exercise calories. The calorie burn still show under the exercise tab, but it won't add back the calories.

thank you !! this is what i was looking for !!!!!!!!!!! :)