Justify craving?

Options
I've been pretty good not eating crap but I'm suddenly craving a hero. But just knowing hero bread is all starchy carbs is making me rethink it. But could having that throw me off? I always try and keep my carbs load even on workout days Im sure I sound crazy to some.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,981 Member
    Options
    I eat whatever I fancy as long as I can fit it in my calories. Some days that's a bag of pistachios for lunch, some days it's fish and chips. Some days it's a shrimp ceasar.

Eat what you like, fit it in, prosper.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with carbs? Your body processes them like any other calorie unless you have certain medical issues.
  • HvymetalMG
    HvymetalMG Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I thought starchy carbs like in white bread were notoriously worse in that it spikes blood levels and turns to fat much faster.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,981 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I eat lots of starchy carbs. I lost my 70 pounds ten years ago and I've kept it off using this site and accounting for my calories. If you want a hero, have it. You're not going to bypass heroes forever, are you? The trick is learning to eat in a way that allows for happiness and health. Heroes also generally have salty fatty meat and cheese. So, all the macros in a convenient easy to eat package!

I still eat one meal a week "out." I will sometimes have a store-bought pizza. I ate a pint of ice cream in one sitting the other night. It's not a daily thing, most of the time I prepare my own meals at home from whole fruit, vegetables, legumes, grains, oils, nuts, dairy, and meat or fish. I'm not going to be happy if I can never have that pizza again.

Oh noes, starchy, salty, meaty, fatty goodness. :)
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    HvymetalMG wrote: »
    I thought starchy carbs like in white bread were notoriously worse in that it spikes blood levels and turns to fat much faster.
    The spike in insulin levels is only a worry if you have insulin related issues. Sugary fruits can do the same thing.

The fat thing? No. As long as you are eating at or under your calorie needs your body won't store fat.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    The protein and fat in the sandwich will counter/prevent any spike for most people anyway--even for someone with insulin issues it can be avoided by balancing the carbs (veg can help too, because of fiber), and like cmtigger says doesn't matter if you are healthy. You won't gain fat if you are still under calories.

Also, if you want to gain muscle insulin spikes are good.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I eat starchy carbs with every single meal and for some snacks too (they help keep me full). It has not hindered my weight loss one bit. It makes sense too. If the body is not getting enough energy from food (is in a deficit), it would be counterintuitive for it to store it instead of using it. Insulin is just a part of the mechanism that triggers fat storage from carbs when there is excess energy to store. No excess energy, no fat storage.
  • HvymetalMG
    HvymetalMG Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Cool. The hero it will be
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    HvymetalMG wrote: »
    I've been pretty good not eating crap but I'm suddenly craving a hero. But just knowing hero bread is all starchy carbs is making me rethink it. But could having that throw me off? I always try and keep my carbs load even on workout days Im sure I sound crazy to some.

If your body is craving it, chances are that there is something there your body knows it needs. If you want to eat less bread, buy a six inch, cut off two or three inches and pile the filling in the rest of the sandwich. :)