C25k 10K and 13.1

Options
I am looking to add some running goals into my Crossfit/Olympic Weightlifting/Powerlifting training. I am considering using these apps to go through and take my time and put some race goals in along the way. Has anyone used them with good results?

Replies

• mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Why not just warm up and run?
  • mayafit405
    mayafit405 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I've had great results with the C25K program. I'm almost finished with it and will be starting the 10k program.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I am looking to add some running goals into my Crossfit/Olympic Weightlifting/Powerlifting training. I am considering using these apps to go through and take my time and put some race goals in along the way. Has anyone used them with good results?

C25K is a useful introduction to the discipline of running, and the Bridge to 10K plan is helpful although personally I found the run/ walk approach a bit frustrating by the time I was there.

There are plenty of free HM training plans out there once you've got a better appreciation of how you prefer training.

Personally I'm a marathoner, so tend to come up with my own approaches now.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    mk2fit wrote: »
    Why not just warm up and run?

Because injuries happen more often to those that 'just warm up and run'.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Start with C25k and find out if you enjoy running. When you are about 2/3 of the way through the program, sign up for a 5k race that will take place after you finish. (The reason to wait is many people have to repeat days or weeks, so the 9 week program may take you 12 weeks.) If you enjoy the race, then sign up for another about 2 months later. Continue running, gradually increasing the distance you run, either through a bridge to 10k type program, One Hour Runner, or one of Hal Higdon's training programs, or on your own. You'll be amazed at how much you improve between the first race and the second as you gain experience, get more fit, and increase your mileage. If you enjoy racing, start training for a 10k. Again, once you've finished that, think about whether you want to increase your mileage to a half marathon. Don't be in too much of a hurry. You can get injured easily by doing too much too soon. Also, when you get into distance running, it takes a lot of time if you want to do well and improve.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Hundreds of people on MFP have used C25K successfully. I did it last summer and have never heard a bad word about it.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I used C25k to start running and I'm using it now with my daughter as a fun activity to do together. I think that run/walk intervals are smart for most beginner runners.
  • CrystalRoseMeow
    CrystalRoseMeow Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the insight! I'm looking at super long term milestones if for nothing else than to balance out my training from being too strength oriented (I really love my barbell work). I don't want to "just warm up and run" because I've almost exclusively rowed for the past few years and my distances running have been 200-800m at a time with what little running I have actually done. With it being a new movement type and essentially skill for my body I want to make sure I do it right to avoid injury. I can't risk getting hurt.
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Can I ask you a question? And this is really me being curious more than anything else. I am primarily a runner - I strength train to compliment my running but my focus is running because that's what I love . . . yeh, I might be crazy.

Anyways, you mentioned you do crossfit training, power lifting and Olympic lifting. From what I've researched in the past . . .if you are going to have dedicated training for running, isn't that a little much on your body? Like a 5K sure because it's usually less than 40 minutes, or maybe 30 if you're fast. But when you get out of the sprint distances the training is VERY dedicated - actually some people in the sprint distances are crazy focused on being faster and they don't ever want to move to another distance. Like 4 x a week - sometimes 5 including a long run - dedicated. So would you be giving up the lifting if you want to do the endurance distances? Lifting is great - I look forward to my lifting sessions but my focus is on running and what I do in lifting helps me with running. When you're training for something specific like Power Lifting or Olympic Lifting but you want to train to run a 10K (or complete that training plan) I just think it might be too much on your body and you won't get the result you're looking for because these types of training often conflict with one another. Are you going to do less lifting, and more running?
  • ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I started out with the C25K program a few years ago, and each year I have signed up for a progressively longer run. Signed up for two half marathons this year and started doing triathlons, too! The key is to ease in.
  • CrystalRoseMeow
    Options
    I should clarify that I do not compete in any of these sports and participate purely out of looking for a good workout with a coach who will make sure I don't do something to injure myself. The primary workout source typically is crossfit but I do Olympic lifting and powerlifting to supplement. For example before a WOD I'll get to the gym early, warm up and do some strength sets. Big picture I want to use these goals to improve a weakness. Running is a HUGE weakness mostly because I typically just don't do it. With the 5 and 10K I will likely blend the programming and cut back in my lifting supplementing (aka I would run before class instead of spending 45 minutes doing hypertrophy lifting) and focus on the running accessory work. When I get ready to take on 13.1 I will switch gears temporarily and make running the focus and use a crossfit class or oly class once or twice a week for cross training. For the here and now while I do 5k prep the goal will be 3 days of running blended with 3 WODs per week. I also do yoga every night to help with mobility, balance, posture, and body awareness. I'm not really looking to be a champion runner just like I don't really want to be a games athlete, a competitive lifter etc...I just want to be a well rounded athletic person who can say I ran a half marathon once. I like balance with my training because when you leave one piece of the puzzle out that's where injury creeps in. Does this answer what you were looking for?

acorsaut89 wrote: »
    Can I ask you a question? And this is really me being curious more than anything else. I am primarily a runner - I strength train to compliment my running but my focus is running because that's what I love . . . yeh, I might be crazy.

Anyways, you mentioned you do crossfit training, power lifting and Olympic lifting. From what I've researched in the past . . .if you are going to have dedicated training for running, isn't that a little much on your body? Like a 5K sure because it's usually less than 40 minutes, or maybe 30 if you're fast. But when you get out of the sprint distances the training is VERY dedicated - actually some people in the sprint distances are crazy focused on being faster and they don't ever want to move to another distance. Like 4 x a week - sometimes 5 including a long run - dedicated. So would you be giving up the lifting if you want to do the endurance distances? Lifting is great - I look forward to my lifting sessions but my focus is on running and what I do in lifting helps me with running. When you're training for something specific like Power Lifting or Olympic Lifting but you want to train to run a 10K (or complete that training plan) I just think it might be too much on your body and you won't get the result you're looking for because these types of training often conflict with one another. Are you going to do less lifting, and more running?

• firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Vandersoft's 21K app is very similar to C25K, except it never actually gets as far as running the whole distance. You start out with 1min run/2min walk and steadily increase running time until on your 60th run your doing 12min run/1min walk. Atm I'm on week 2 and am using the app during the week 2x outside and 1x inside then using similar intervals on my weekly longer run (I use the interval missions on Zombies run for that run).
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    I should clarify that I do not compete in any of these sports and participate purely out of looking for a good workout with a coach who will make sure I don't do something to injure myself. The primary workout source typically is crossfit but I do Olympic lifting and powerlifting to supplement. For example before a WOD I'll get to the gym early, warm up and do some strength sets. Big picture I want to use these goals to improve a weakness. Running is a HUGE weakness mostly because I typically just don't do it. With the 5 and 10K I will likely blend the programming and cut back in my lifting supplementing (aka I would run before class instead of spending 45 minutes doing hypertrophy lifting) and focus on the running accessory work. When I get ready to take on 13.1 I will switch gears temporarily and make running the focus and use a crossfit class or oly class once or twice a week for cross training. For the here and now while I do 5k prep the goal will be 3 days of running blended with 3 WODs per week. I also do yoga every night to help with mobility, balance, posture, and body awareness. I'm not really looking to be a champion runner just like I don't really want to be a games athlete, a competitive lifter etc...I just want to be a well rounded athletic person who can say I ran a half marathon once. I like balance with my training because when you leave one piece of the puzzle out that's where injury creeps in. Does this answer what you were looking for?

Oh yeh - I wasn't really "looking" for anything I was more just curious because as I said from my experience it's best usually to focus on one thing that you want to be good at and use the others to compliment that thing. It was me just being nosey and asking a lot of questions like usual lol
  • CrystalRoseMeow
    Options
    [quote="

Oh yeh - I wasn't really "looking" for anything I was more just curious because as I said from my experience it's best usually to focus on one thing that you want to be good at and use the others to compliment that thing. It was me just being nosey and asking a lot of questions like usual lol

You're totally right! Since I'm not competing or overly committed to one specific sport or style of training I open my workouts up to trying new things and switching up my focus regularly. It keeps me from getting bored and it keeps my body constantly adapting to new challenges.