Elliptical

Options
Anyone have success by calorie counting and only walking and using an elliptical?

Replies

• Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Calorie counting success doesn't even require exercise. But yes, you can have successful calorie counting with just walking and elliptical trainer as your primary source of exercise. Just don't believe the machine's burn numbers, look at MFP's and adjust accordingly.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    For about three months. I have a glider, not an elliptical, but they're similar. I started off with walking and that. And the weight was coming off. Then I started hanging out in the forums and realized I'd need strength training, too, to help maintain muscle, so I've since added fitness tubes and am slowly converting my basement into a budget gym (mat, stability ball, fitness bands, 2 dumbbells so far and a plan to add more), plus a book on strength training for women and a soccer ball (they recommend using a ball for some warm up exercises). To be clear, I didn't hit a plateau or feel I needed more exercise for weight loss. I just got convinced that I needed to add strength training for overall health.

For weight-loss purposes, the calorie deficit is all that matters. Exercise builds a bigger deficit/gives you more calories to play with and is great for overall health. But it's the calories that really matter.

ETA: I eat back roughly half my exercise calories, but I log everything including 10 minutes of warmup and cooldown stretches, 15-minute walks to the grocery store, etc.
  • TejahBee
    TejahBee Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I do an Elliptical for 30 minutes several times a week, with incline and resistance both at least 4 each the whole time. That is some craziness. It will get you sweating for sure. Burns over 400 calories in 30 minutes. But I am heavy, go as fast as possible, and don't use the hand balances to work my balance and stabilising muscles.
  • getupforchange
    getupforchange Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Calories in vs. calories out. You can do as much or as little as you want in terms of exercise, as long as you're in a calorie deficit you're going to lose weight. The elliptical is great if it's something you feel fits into your lifestyle and is something you want to do.
  • zilkah
    zilkah Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 14 lb doing only walking , counting calories, and elliptical. But I ended up skinny fat and weak - just smaller lol. I recommend throwing in some light strength training too but you can definitely lose fat on the elliptical and walking only if you watch your calories
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Yes! Elliptical and walking used to be my only aerobic workouts. You can really crank on an elliptical, and it doesn't make you sore (much!). I used to burn 600kcals in 45 minutes on a Precor with handles, sometimes every day of the week. Alternating with walking (treadmill or outdoors) is a great idea to work a good variety of muscles. Add a little weight training and BAM you're a gym goddess.

The calorie estimates from most ellipticals is pretty accurate, so you can be confident in eating most of them back. For walking, treadmills give an accurate calorie number and there are many apps on your phone that give good calorie numbers for outdoor walks. Weight workouts are great for you, but they don't burn many calories.

I've moved on to running, riding, and swimming, but I would go back on the elliptical if I felt like it. It's the best of the low-impact exercise machines, in my opinion.

Go for it!
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    Anyone have success by calorie counting and only walking and using an elliptical?

I have used the elliptical quite a bit recently, since I'm rehabbing from a running injury. When I first started out, I used it very successfully.. Watching your calories/macros and doing some cardio work that includes the elliptical machine is a good combination. Of course, doing a bit of strength work to supplement the cardio is a great idea as well. Good luck.