Very underweight..how should I go about reverse dieting?

Options
2»

Replies

• alexastoutxo
    alexastoutxo Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    just eat rice for all meals and ur weight will increase

Your point is only valid if the rice puts you in a calorie surplus. Carbs don't make you gain weight.

I was thinking the same thing Lol
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I ran your info through tdeecalculator.net - https://tdeecalculator.net/result.php?s=imperial&g=female&age=18&lbs=76&in=61&act=1.55&f=1

maintenance is around 1646; if you wanted to gain weight then 2050-2150 is recommended - but I would slowly increase that number from what you are eating right now
  • alexastoutxo
    Options
    I ran your info through tdeecalculator.net - https://tdeecalculator.net/result.php?s=imperial&g=female&age=18&lbs=76&in=61&act=1.55&f=1

maintenance is around 1646; if you wanted to gain weight then 2050-2150 is recommended - but I would slowly increase that number from what you are eating right now

Are those maintenance calories for a rest day or a running day?
  • DesiDesi2016
    DesiDesi2016 Posts: 16 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Read The China Study/Watch Forks Over Knives:) You'll have to eat larger quantities but can def gain weight on a plant based diet while reducing risk of cancer and a myriad of chronic diseases.
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Rusty740 wrote: »
    You burn about 350 calories running 10 kms over 1 hour. I googled how many calories for a run and assumed about 10 km/hr which seemed close enough and it came out to 350 calories/hour. http://www.runnersworld.com/tools/calories-burned-calculator

Thats about what I run and I'd say it's a bit slow for a regular runner, but it's close enough. I used your weight to calculate it.

If you only eat 1570 on running days, you'll be in deficit again by 250 or so on running days. If you plan to eat the running calories on running days, then you'll need to make up that much, plus the 100 extra you need to gain weight. Eating back the 350 will only be allowing you to run for an hour.

An example. Lets say you want to eat maintenance on rest days and maintenance on running days it might look like this, adding the 100 extra to gain weight.
    Rest day: 1400 + 100 = 1500
    Running day (1 hour run): 1400 + 350 + 100 = 1850
    If you ran 1.5 hours your running day would be: 1400 + 475 (the 1.5 hour run) + 100 = 1975

I'm thinking this probably looks like a lot of food to you on those running days. This is a reason you might consider eating more on rest days to make it easier on yourself. It doesn't really matter how you slice it what matters a bit more is your weekly calories, you want to bump these up.

If you add all this up and say you run for one hour Mon, Wed, Fri it might look like this.
    Sun: 1500
    Mon: 1850
    Tues: 1500
    Wed: 1850
    Thurs: 1500
    Fri: 1850
    Sat 1500

For a total of 11,250 for the week and with the extra 700 calories you've been adding you will likely only gain 0.3 lb/week.

If you only ate the 1570 on running days.
    Sun: 1500
    Mon: 1570
    Tues: 1500
    Wed: 1570
    Thurs: 1500
    Fri: 1570
    Sat 1500

For a total of 10,710 for the week and you'd be losing 0.3 lb/week

If you find it hard to eat 1975 calories on your running days. It's easier on you to take that weekly number above (11,250), round it up to 11,500 and divide it evenly though your week for about 1,650 per day.

All these calculations don't mean anything if you're accidently over-estimating how much food you're eating. In your case you should ere on the high side and eat more than you think you need.

I think I lean towards 1970 calories since most of my running days consists of running 1.5 hours but you're right, it is a bit too much food for me especially since Im always busy and running around I don't get the time to eat all of that and usually fall short on 1570 on those days. But I also don't want to have to make up the calories on rest days because that's even MORE calories to make up on rest days since I'm going to be starting out with 1500 calories on rest days. Like yesterday, I went for my usual run and was only able to eat 1580 calories and today is a rest day which I plan to eat 1500 calories so I'm guessing its a bit of a problem because I'm still in a deficit. But like I said though, I want to increase slowly which is why I want to eat only 1500 calories today (rest day) because I want to increase my calories by 100 to start out with, not have to increase automatically to 1600 to makeup for the day before which was a running day. Does that make sense? I feel like I confused myself just trying to explain that haha

Makes sense to me, then over the next few weeks, you'll add another 100 or so each week.
  • deannalfisher
    Options

TDEE factors in exercise calories - so I used the moderate exercise 3-4 times a week - when I ran the calculation
  • alexastoutxo
    Options

TDEE factors in exercise calories - so I used the moderate exercise 3-4 times a week - when I ran the calculation

Oh well I don't eat the same amount each day. My running day calories and rest day calories vary so I usually have 1570 on running days and have less on rest days with 1470 calories.
  • deannalfisher
    Options
    which is still less than the maintenance given...the point of TDEE is that the calories over the week essentially balance out between workout and rest days, so higher calories on your rest days help to fuel your workouts on your run days

I've been working with a group of RD's for about 6 months now and that is how they approach it - I don't adjust my food for workout days (unless its to add during workout carbs for long rides) and even on my low days (2100cal) - I can still run 6 miles and feel strong
  • alexastoutxo
    Options
    which is still less than the maintenance given...the point of TDEE is that the calories over the week essentially balance out between workout and rest days, so higher calories on your rest days help to fuel your workouts on your run days

I've been working with a group of RD's for about 6 months now and that is how they approach it - I don't adjust my food for workout days (unless its to add during workout carbs for long rides) and even on my low days (2100cal) - I can still run 6 miles and feel strong

I sent yout a message cause I have a few more questions if that's okay with you
  • amattogno
    amattogno Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey - I too am 5'7" and underweight. I can tell you what my nutritionist told me: 2,000 calories for basal metabolic rate, 500 for weight gain, and because I do some light exercise 200. 500 extra calories a day will bring you to about a pound a week. Hope that helps!