Weight Gain / tips for bulking up

Options
tiggs862017
tiggs862017 Posts: 15 Member
Hey everyone,
My name is Tighler. I'm 4'11,and weigh 94lbs. About two weeks ago I noticed my jeans not fitting as tight. So, I stepped on the scale. Low and behold, I had lost 7 pounds in 5 days!!! Down to 87lbs!!! Not good!!
After that I decided it was time for some lifestyle changes.
First, I joined Planet Fitness and started strength training again, it had been about 15 years, and I couldn't remember what I should've already known after lifting for 4 years in high school. I did however know that I weighed the most during my H.S. years, 105 lbs.
The first few times I went I felt lost, so I found an app JEFIT. It tells me which exercises to do on which day. Then I realized that I should be counting calories to ensure I'm taking in enough. That's when I found My Fitness Pal, and I LOVE IT! Being able to see what I've ate and knowing that I need to eat more has really been was has aided in my weight gain success. I'm hoping to get back to the gym today after being out for a week due to a hamstring strain.

I'm hoping to reach my goal weight of 105 lbs. by October. I've added protein bars, and Optimum Nutrition whey protein shakes. I credit this addition for most for my recent success.

So my questions are:
What is pre-work out? Do I need it? Should I add creatine on the days I lift? Are there other things I should be adding to help with muscle recovery and growth? I'm just so new, and feel like I know nothing, lol. Any shared knowledge will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for taking the time to read this.
Have a wonderful day!
Tighler (Tyler)

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Pre workout is unnecessary. Pretty much a marketing scheme if you enjoy coffee.

Creatine every day.

Adequate protien of around one gram per pound of body weight is sufficient in your case.

Stress and stimulate muscles, recover, promote adaptation by progressive overload.

Starting adding calories today and monitor your progress. If you haven't gained by end of week add another hundred and reassess.
  • tiggs862017
    tiggs862017 Posts: 15 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I've been trying to take in more than that. I try to get between 107g and 130g of protein. More towards 130g on training days.

What does creatine do?
    Please don't laugh...
    I'm just so new to all of this. I didn't worry about nutrients when I was lifting in high school. I just ate whenever ​I was hungry. Lol
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    There is no benefit of extra protien unless you are 50ish or older. If you enjoy, no harm really. It just isn't going to give you extra muscle.

Creatine helps in the recovery time of muscles.
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    You should focus on the things that make the most difference. In order of importance.
    Calorie surplus - Eat about 250 calories more than you burn, give or take.
    Macros - You will need more carbohydrates when you are trying to gain weight, and only enough protein to keep your body working (25% is about rightish). You don't need any more.
    Meal timing - less important, but if you feel you want to you try getting some simple carbs along with protein after your workout, this will aid with recovery of your muscles. Milk is excellent for this.
    Sleep - Get some :)
    Water - also get some :)
    Creatine - You don't need it, although there's nothing wrong with it and it does have some benefits. Creatine is a proven thing, it helps the body synthesize more ATP. The muscles use ATP as energy during anaerobic workouts so when it's used up, we get fatigued. The body makes more, but creatine helps make it faster. Its benefit would come into play for serious folks who need every little bit of edge for that optimal performance. For most of us it'd be a waste of money to use it, but not get enough carbs for instance.