Foods with foods

Options
2»

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    There are some combinations that work, like iron rich food with vitamin c sources, because vitamin c helps with iron absorbtion, or calcium/vit a/vit d sources with fat, because fat helps with their absorbtion.
    So, when eating iron rich food, like liver, lentils, spinach etc, pair it with lemon juice, orange juice or vegetables such as peppers, to increase iron absorbtion and avoid dairy, as it will prevent iron absorbtion.
    If eating dairy for the calcium, it should not be zero fat, and if eating vitamin D fortified foods, eat also something with a bit of fat, oil etc. Apples are good sources of vit A, E and K, nuts contain fat, so probably the apple/nuts combo the trainer in the OP was talking about was about this. If eating spinach or broccoli which are rich in vitamin K, cook with some olive oil for better absorbtion. When eating tomatoes, again pair with olive oil or eat some cheese, plus cook your tomatoes with a little oil, as this helps absorb the lycopene better.
    Probably lots of other combinations that are good for you, but these are the basic I remember.

@garygriffin your question was not stupid according to science, and neither was your trainer :)
  • Movemoreguy22
    Movemoreguy22 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Sounds confusing sod that, I stick to peanut with everything.
    Peanut butter and marmite is a good mix peeps
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    There are some combinations that work, like iron rich food with vitamin c sources, because vitamin c helps with iron absorbtion, or calcium/vit a/vit d sources with fat, because fat helps with their absorbtion.
    So, when eating iron rich food, like liver, lentils, spinach etc, pair it with lemon juice, orange juice or vegetables such as peppers, to increase iron absorbtion and avoid dairy, as it will prevent iron absorbtion.
    If eating dairy for the calcium, it should not be zero fat, and if eating vitamin D fortified foods, eat also something with a bit of fat, oil etc. Apples are good sources of vit A, E and K, nuts contain fat, so probably the apple/nuts combo the trainer in the OP was talking about was about this. If eating spinach or broccoli which are rich in vitamin K, cook with some olive oil for better absorbtion. When eating tomatoes, again pair with olive oil or eat some cheese, plus cook your tomatoes with a little oil, as this helps absorb the lycopene better.
    Probably lots of other combinations that are good for you, but these are the basic I remember.

@garygriffin your question was not stupid according to science, and neither was your trainer :)

To be fair though, his trainer didn't say to eat apples with nuts to enhance nutrient absorption, he said to do it because it tricks your body into something. Which has no scientific basis, you can't trick your body into treating a food differently by eating it with something else.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

To be fair though, his trainer didn't say to eat apples with nuts to enhance nutrient absorption, he said to do it because it tricks your body into something. Which has no scientific basis, you can't trick your body into treating a food differently by eating it with something else.

But having said that, apples and peanut butter is a great combination!
  • Movemoreguy22
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

If I'm honest I can't remember what he said all went over my head,
    I ask again when I see him
  • lilolilo920
    lilolilo920 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter and black raspberry jam
    Peanut butter and any other jam
    Peanut butter and honey
    Peanut butter and banana
    Peanut butter and mayonnaise
    Peanut butter and bacon
    Peanut butter and watercress
    Peanut butter and jalapenos
    Peanut butter and American cheese
    Peanut butter and marshmallow fluff
    Peanut butter and strawberry jam with potato chips
    Peanut butter and Hershey's chocolate bar
    Peanut butter and S'mores
    ... ... ...

Yes to all of the above. Have you ever tried peanut butter and sweet potato? Or dipping carrots in peanut butter? Both are sooooo good
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter and black raspberry jam
    Peanut butter and any other jam
    Peanut butter and honey
    Peanut butter and banana
    Peanut butter and mayonnaise
    Peanut butter and bacon
    Peanut butter and watercress
    Peanut butter and jalapenos
    Peanut butter and American cheese
    Peanut butter and marshmallow fluff
    Peanut butter and strawberry jam with potato chips
    Peanut butter and Hershey's chocolate bar
    Peanut butter and S'mores
    ... ... ...

That list, while good, has one egregious omission - Peanut butter on a hamburger. My favorite.

Yeah, it sounds gross. Try it once. It's life changing. :)
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Fuzzipeg wrote: »
    Are you talking food combining. I remember it from a while ago ........... have just found a series of items about this in a search, one is by the Acid Alkaline Association they say it reduces indigestion and acidosis. There are charts and information available.

In principal don't eat carbs with acid foods or concentrated proteins with concentrated carbs, only one concentrated protein at a meal, no protein with fats, or acid foods with protein and not to have sugar with carbs. The list is longer these are some of the headings, the page gives a detailed explanation of the whys and wherefores of the matter relating to the carious acids foods contain.

Many sports people are supposed to live by this, I know of one diabetic who improved his condition this way back in the 1980's. For me it is each to his/her own.

Hope this is of some help.

You absolutely do eat protein with fat (ask anyone who does a low carb/keto diet) and it's a bit hard not to have sugar with carbs when sugar IS carbs. Seems legit >.>
  • LeoT0917
    LeoT0917 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Dark rum. Hold the Coke, Hold the lime.
  • Movemoreguy22
    Options
    Any ice cubes or is that destroying the drink
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Any ice cubes or is that destroying the drink

In beer? Yes ;)
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I'll add something about carbs and protein being eaten together for some good reason I forgot.

Maybe because it makes a good sandwich...no seriously I think they do something good together for muscle building or something.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Rum & cherry coke
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    or with hot apple cider
  • loftus4827
    loftus4827 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Damn those tricky apples!!