Food addiction

Options
Hi, any advice on food addiction i am trying to gain healthy weight as i am underweight. But i always crave a certain junk food which is chocolate biscuits and when i do i cant stop my self from eating so much of it/ binging on it and then the next day i feel miserable and feel *kitten* about myself but then i buy more and cycle repeats itself i dont even enjoy them its more of a comfort/ routine any advice on this. Thanks

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with a few biscuits as part of a balanced diet. Especially if you need the extra calories!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    You don't have a food addiction. Food is not like crack where it kills you. Food is life.

Are you getting counselling support?

When you fill up your days with a variety of foods you won't have as much room for chocolate biscuits. But if all you have in hand to eat are the biscuits, eat them. Being underweight is more dangerous than a box of biscuits.

Does your craving decrease on days you eat your minimum protein and take a multivitamin?
  • anybeary
    anybeary Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Pre-log your foods and make sure you're getting sufficient protein. If you stick to this for a month or so, the junk food cravings will subside. Promise!
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Maybe keep them out of the house? I mean there is nothing wrong with chocolate biscuits or other treats but if they are taking up most of your cals and crowding out nutrition and you can't moderate it can help .. out of sight out of mind.
    However you are underweight so food is better than no food at all.
  • wacker1994
    wacker1994 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks for advice everyone!
  • CriQue312
    CriQue312 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    It could be a vitamin deficiency that's causing the cravings. I know it sounds ridiculous but I've read broccoli has the same chemical in it that satisfies like chocolate... perhaps load up on cooked buttered/cheesy broccoli to get that nutrient plus vitamins. The dairy toppings would give added fat for calories.

I deal with food addiction from the other side of the spectrum, weigh too much. There are people who are sensitive even intolerant of cane sugar. Perhaps avoid the sugar and snack on other crunchy foods like nuts, fruits & berries, veg with dips.