Pregnant while gaining weight?

Options
Has anyone found out they were pregnant while on this weight gain diet? My ob says to keep eatin extra calories and work out still, but now idk what's safe and safe isn't. Prob shoulda posted this question before this last.

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    You're expected to gain while pregnant. If you have questions about what you can/can't do, you should take those up with your doctor.
  • CASEYSgirl93
    CASEYSgirl93 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    To be honest, my ob isn't that helpful. She doesn't tell me what I can or can't do. It's always "talk to someone." I thought this would help to ask strangers. Lol.
  • SephiraAllen
    SephiraAllen Posts: 78 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Generally, as long as it's not a high risk pregnancy (or you don't have any other contraindications), it is safe to continue exercising when you are pregnant, unless you are doing super strenuous workouts, then you would need to tone it down. WebMD and WhatToExpect offer up some good tips, and if there are particular exercises that you have questions about, talk to your ob/gyn again (or see if your insurance has a nurse line that you can call).

If you have trouble gaining weight, make sure that you keep eating healthy foods - lots of protein and veggies, and make sure you are taking a good prenatal vitamin.

Edit... probably should have looked at the category first. If you are doing weightlifting, you need to be careful. Heavy lifting should be avoided while pregnant. Definitely, you should consult with a personal trainer or other qualified professional (along with your doctor) before continuing to lift.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    A weight gain is normal in pregnancy.

General rule assuming your not high risk is what ever you were doing before the pregnancy is safe to do during.

I know a few powerlifters as well as Oly lifters that trained deep I to their pregnancy.
  • CASEYSgirl93
    Options
    I am high risk. She just said find pregnant safe exercises so I got stuck. Thanks guys!
  • acampbe2umd
    acampbe2umd Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    If you don't trust your doctor's opinions, find one where you do. There are too many what-if's for strangers to accurately tell you what you should/should not be doing while pregnant. Every person is different and every pregnancy for that matter is different.
  • sammyjo0218
    sammyjo0218 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I definitely wouldn't follow a weight gain diet while pregnant. Too much weight gain at once will do more harm than good while pregnant. Just follow the guidelines during pregnancy with the extra calories in each trimester. Dietitian would be best as drs and ob aren't trained in that field to give you plans on what to eat or for any health conditions. Sounds like you need a different ob.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    I am high risk. She just said find pregnant safe exercises so I got stuck. Thanks guys!

High risk in what way? I was high risk in my pregnancies, where for months I was not allowed to do anything other than go to the bathroom, but there are lots of reasons to be high risk and lots of different restrictions.
    The usual guidelines are nothing that involves heavy lifting (also for fear of an accident, which is not a risk most women would want to take), nothing that puts you at risk of falling (your sense of balance is very off as the pregnancy progresses), nothing that is too intense and leaves you out of breath , nothing that involves getting too hot.
    Usual "safe" exercices are pilates, yoga (both adapted for pregnant women), swimming, aqua aerobics, walking.
  • CASEYSgirl93
    Options
    Thanks! High risk for having a preemie, having a still born and having health issues. A few diff things mixed todether. Original reason I got sent to high risk clinic is Bc of health probs.