From East Bay, want to share you lifting techniques?

Options
I'm serious about loosing weight, and want to take advantage of my gym membership, but I feel intimidated using the weights. Wondering if anyone can share a beginner's routine or better yet do it together.

Replies

• imjms737
    imjms737 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Living in Tokyo, so can't work out with you, unfortunately ;)

But some tips I have:
    • Keep a log of your workouts (I love the app Strong)
    • Get the form down before moving up in weights (Light weights with proper form >> Half-assed heavy reps)
    • Find a routine you can stick to (I personally use a program from Hyrid Performance Method, but Stronglifts or Starting Strength are easy-to-follow programs)
    • Make sure to recovery properly!

It can definitely be intimidating to use the weights, especially if you're female, but just do you!
    For a basic routine, you can't go wrong with the big 3: squat, bench press, deadlift.
    Throw in some overhead presses and some accessories, and that's basically all you'll ever need.

Good luck!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

You can always start with a beginnet program. If you want a free weight program, then id recommend trying the Aworkoutroutine one.
  • beanz744
    beanz744 Posts: 221 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    its great that u want to exercise to lose weight. i do not recommend a beginner in ur condition (i can only judge by ur pic) to use free weight without a trainer because free weight requires proper forms. otherwise, the risk of injury is much higher.

IMHO, as a certified instructor for 10 years, it is for u to use weight machine because

1. it force u into the proper form or doesnt require u to use proper form
    2. theres no danger of dropping any weight on yourself
    3. its not easy to tell how much weight u r lifting so u dont feel self conscious
    4. more beginners r using them so the environment less intimidating

two keys
    1. get a full body routine from an expert or on utube n do it 2 to 3 times a week in non consecutive days
    2. MUST go up in lift-weight every few weeks in order to have significant progress in health n weight loss contribution. i see many people showing no progress year after year because they use the EXACT same weight as day one.

good luck!

PS u can always move to free weight after a few months if u want to
  • beanz744
    Options
    the first 1.30 min of this utube video will tell u the best approah on weight lifting for beginners

https://youtu.be/oB7nBvb8lyY
  • psuLemon
    Options
    beanz744 wrote: »
    its great that u want to exercise to lose weight. i do not recommend a beginner in ur condition (i can only judge by ur pic) to use free weight without a trainer because free weight requires proper forms. otherwise, the risk of injury is much higher.

IMHO, as a certified instructor for 10 years, it is for u to use weight machine because

3. its not easy to tell how much weight u r lifting so u dont feel self conscious

two keys
    1. get a full body routine from an expert or on utube n do it 2 to 3 times a week in non consecutive days
    2. MUST go up in lift-weight every few weeks in order to have significant progress in health n weight loss contribution. i see many people showing no progress year after year because they use the EXACT same weight as day one.

good luck!

Well you can definitely get hurt on machines and not all of them force correct form. I do think it would be beneficial to get someone to check form, but free weight will work more muscle groups as they incorporate stabilizer muscles.

Ultimately, a person needs to find a program they enjoy and can be consistent. And if you look at the programs i posted, there are some very basic ones.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I choose my goal, then choose a program. In fat loss mode the goal is lose fat, maintain muscle. I want a program that's going to get me to that goal, without a lot of extra fluff or too much volume that could possibly make a deficit hard to stay in. For me, that would be a Strength program focusing on compound lifts and progressive overload such as: Strong Lifts, Starting Strength, Wendlers 5/3/1 (intermediate).

If my goal is to gain muscle, I'm typically eating more (maintenance or above) and I choose a training program with high volume, and isolation work. I like a DUP style training with my compound lifts: a power, strength, and hypertrophy day for squats and bench and a light and heavy day for deads. Accessory work for bis, tris, back, shoulders, glutes will hit the smaller muscle groups two times per week typically in the 3-4 set and 10-12 rep range.
  • tomwasilj3w
    tomwasilj3w Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Diet is going to be a big part of your journey through weight-loss. Find a diet that works for you. I hear alot of people on MFP saying they have had success with the KETO diet.

KETO diet
    https://authoritynutrition.com/ketogenic-diet-101/

Now after you get on a diet that will put you in a calorie deficit (low amount of calories eaten daily) you will need to focus on workouts that will burn calories. Stick with alot of cardio. If you want to throw in weight training then stick to higher reps. Like one guy said above, focus on learning proper form! When I say I reps I mean 12 and up.

If I were you I'd stick with the machines if you want to do weight training. It's fairly straightforward and your less likely to injure yourself. But don't take long rests in between sets. You want to keep your heart rate up to burn those calories.

So once again, I feel like cardio is what you should be focusing on. Or a combo of both where you do cardio, jump to a set of weights, and hop right back into cardio.

There are a lot of YouTube videos out there as well when it comes to work outs and proper form. Just find a channel that you like!

Best of luck to you!
  • beanz744
    edited May 2017
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

two keys

good luck!

Well you can definitely get hurt on machines and not all of them force correct form. I do think it would be beneficial to get someone to check form, but free weight will work more muscle groups as they incorporate stabilizer muscles.

Ultimately, a person needs to find a program they enjoy and can be consistent. And if you look at the programs i posted, there are some very basic ones.

can one get an accident in any car? certainly!

can one learn driving in a van? certainly!

But I suspect theres a reason why professional driving instructors all have their students learn driving in a compact car instead of a van.

plus, one can choose to drive a van anytime afterward.
  • psuLemon
    edited May 2017
    Options

two keys

good luck!

But I suspect theres a reason why professional driving instructors all have their students learn driving in a compact car instead of a van.

Ironically, all my trainer friends teach with dumbbells, barbell and kettle bells, and save machines for kids or accessories to a well structured program.

But i guess to each their own.
  • Girl_with_muscles
    Girl_with_muscles Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your decision.

I'd really recommend that you get a trainer who's used to workout with people who are out of shape and new to the gym. If you're really serious about it, get 3-6 session with a trainer to walk you through it.

It will boost your confidence to know what you're doing and it may even help you feel less intimidated having someone there with you.

If you can't get a trainer then please be careful with your form so you don't hurt your back.

Again, congratulations on taking this step! I can't wait to follow your journey on here.
  • Girl_with_muscles
    Girl_with_muscles Posts: 64 Member
    Options

two keys

good luck!

Ironically, all my trainer friends teach with dumbbells, barbell and kettle bells, and save machines for kids or accessories to a well structured program.

But i guess to each their own.

Same here.. we don't even have machines at my gym. Just free weights.

Machines are ok, but free weights are better.
  • adriana510
    adriana510 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you all I will post an update soon!