Lactose intolerence

Options
Hi, i have recently discovered that i can not handle dairy products well and my doctor believes i am lactose intolerent. I have recently bought whey protein isolate will that affect my current situation, for example if i drank with water or added to my meal would it affect me. Finally any tips on being lactose intolerent and good replacement nutrition etc. Thanks

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    WPI has very, very, very minimal lactose - it will depend how intolerant you are as you how you'll go drinking it.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I had issues with dairy, especially milk, that I chalked up to lactose intolerance. I did a couple things, switching to organic milk, when it's regular milk I wait until eating the food so the stomach isn't just dealing with that alone, and yogurt sometimes. Now I may not have been actually intolerant, or some or none of those may have helped but that was my experience.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    wacker1994 wrote: »
    Hi, i have recently discovered that i can not handle dairy products well and my doctor believes i am lactose intolerent. I have recently bought whey protein isolate will that affect my current situation, for example if i drank with water or added to my meal would it affect me. Finally any tips on being lactose intolerent and good replacement nutrition etc. Thanks

have you tried lower fat dairy products to see if it still bothers you? if you are intolerant whey may effect you(they have isolate,regular whey and casein), or it may not. only way to tell is try it and see.they do have plant protein powders too
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    If you like dairy products, try Fairlife milk. All their milks (from nonfat to full fat) are lactose free. They're also filtered and their protein content is higher than other milks.

As far as whey protein goes, @livingleanlivingclean is correct that whey protein isolate is supposed to be lactose free (or have absolute minimal lactose at worst).
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    I seem to be OK with whey protein isolate. I buy lactose free milk and mix it with that.
    Actually, full fat dairy products such as cheese have less lactose in them. My dietician told me that the higher the fat content, the lower the lactose levels.
    You will need to experiment to find what works for you as some people are more sensitive than others. I find I can tolerate full fat yoghurt,hard cheeses like cheddar and even cream. Other things like milk, and cottage or cream cheese,are a no.
    You could try nut milks or soya milks,though I personally have to avoid soya too.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I seem to be OK with whey protein isolate. I buy lactose free milk and mix it with that.
    Actually, full fat dairy products such as cheese have less lactose in them. My dietician told me that the higher the fat content, the lower the lactose levels.
    You will need to experiment to find what works for you as some people are more sensitive than others. I find I can tolerate full fat yoghurt,hard cheeses like cheddar and even cream. Other things like milk, and cottage or cream cheese,are a no.
    You could try nut milks or soya milks,though I personally have to avoid soya too.

In cheese and yoghurt there is mainly less lactose as it has been used up by the microbes that make the product They eat the lactose and convert them.
    As for th fat content - well percentage wise that would make a difference, but that is not the main reason

As if whey protein isolates - that is made from the whey, the waste from cheese production. The cheese production takes out most of the lactose (which is then converted as above) form the milk. The whey therefore has very little lactose left in the what is effectively water with some left over protein (mainly).
    To that water you may or may not add enzymes to hydrolyse the protein and then simply dry it.
    Never understood why it is so expensive it is just an economical way of dealing with product waste

These days there are some airy producers that see the cheese as the waste product for their proteinpowders :wink:
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I know lactose is usually flagged up as the issue, without testing, it could be a casein reaction to the protein in dairy. I agree its a real pain. Having had a long list of issues for years and years, I have started using digestive enzymes, mine cover me for lactose and casein. I know I've taken the easy way out.

Everyone has their own way of dealing with issues so I added this as information only. Hope you find a product which suits you best.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

I was thinking that it may be the fats in some of these foods maybe causing an issue too. with OP. also some dairy products contain locust bean gum/carageenan(yogurt being one of them) that also can cause stomach issues. I know certain eggs(not really dairy per se) cause me stomach issues but others dont. sometimes its hard to tell what is causing the stomach issues.
  • comptonelizabeth
    Options

I was thinking that it may be the fats in some of these foods maybe causing an issue too. with OP. also some dairy products contain locust bean gum/carageenan(yogurt being one of them) that also can cause stomach issues. I know certain eggs(not really dairy per se) cause me stomach issues but others dont. sometimes its hard to tell what is causing the stomach issues.

Yeah that could be true re fats. And I've been told to avoid carageenan(I have ibd and it's thought to cause inflammation though evidence for that is only based on its effects on mice!)
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

Yeah that could be true re fats. And I've been told to avoid carageenan(I have ibd and it's thought to cause inflammation though evidence for that is only based on its effects on mice!)

even though its only a study based on mice it could be the culprit. I have an issue with locust bean gum if its high on the list of ingredients,if its low on the list no issues, so yeah I would try avoiding foods with it in and see if that helps, then try other types of dairy products and then if you have the issue with all the same types of products then yeah it could be you are intolerant/allergic. you can also try cutting one thing out for 3-4 months and slowly reintroduce it,if no issues then pick another food that may cause the issue and repeat. that will tell you if its an intolerance/allergy or not.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Whey protein isolate is 99.9% lactose free. i also have lactose intolerance and can tolerate whey protein isolate just fine!

I guess it would really depend on your tolerance and if it's really an issue with lactose or a dairy allergy.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    You can also find vegan protein powders that get you protein without any whey or lactose at all.
  • Erik8484
    Erik8484 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Lactose intolerance is driven by your body underproducing the lactase enzyme (which is found in the small intestine) that your body needs to break down lactose. When your body can't break down lactose, you may experience bloading, cramps etc.

You can buy lactase pills to take when you eat dairy (I use something called Lacto-free). Instead of relying on your body to produce lactase you are consuming it in pill format, which enables you to break down lactose.

The whey proteins I have bought (Optimum Nutrition) contain both lactose and lactase, and therefore do not cause me any issues.
  • EricExtreme
    EricExtreme Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I can't have milk sugar or milk fat, whey, casein, or egg. I don't do well with soy either. I use Rice Protein powder.
  • comptonelizabeth
    Options
    You can actually be tested for lactose intolerance. I don't know how accurate the tests are and unfortunately you have to carry on consuming lactose before the test otherwise you may get a false reading.