What do you guys think of Athlean Xzero ?

Options
What do you guys think of athlean xzero as a workout ? I've watched his videos on YouTube and he seems to be a smart guy. I am looking for something cheap that I can get as the gym is getting too expensive for me to afford right now. Thanks guys.

Replies

• Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I've watched a few of his videos and he seems like he knows some stuff. If you're after cheap and something you can do at home you might be interested in my program. All I have is a barbell and some weights. It's a modified StrongLifts sort of thing. I do 4 sets of everything. Rep ranges vary from 4-6 on deadlift to 8-12 on squats due to the lighter weight. 3 days per week, alternate A,B. Linear progression. I have no idea if this is too novice for you or not, just throwing it out there.

Workout A
    Squats (no squat rack so I have to clean it first, then bear complex it over to a back squat rather than front squats) This means you can't do heavy weights, so the rep range goes up.
    Floor Press (I use a couple of sturdy chairs as my rack)
    Bent Over Row

Workout B
    Squats again ;)
    Overhead Press (starting with a clean just like the squats, I do 5 lbs heavier than my squat with this. I worry about the injury risk when moving the bar from front to back on the clean-to-back-squat move so I thought I'd try to get my press weight up).
    Deadlift - I do 4 sets of this even though StrongLifts and Starting Strength say less, who doesn't like more deadlift right? :)

I have and use a door pull-up bar too.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I have watched a lot of his videos and overall have been impressed by his knowledge in many areas (except for when it comes to supplements). It seems like a cheaper version of P90X and a lot more interactive since it's web based.

If you just want a bodyweight routine, you can look at: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1 . There are a few in here.

But if you want all the ab work, meal planning, etc.. Athlean will probably be more impressive.
  • ArmyofAdrian
    ArmyofAdrian Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I'm having good results with AX1 but I haven't tried AX0 sorry. I can tell you Jeff Caveliere knows more about what it takes to achieve and maintain an athletic physique year-round than most. The proof is in the videos he's posted multiple times per week for the past several years. He walks the walk and the proof is available for the world to see. This type of proof is something his detractors usually lack.

The AX1 program has kept me motivated and injury-free which has allowed me to be consistent. In turn I'm seeing better results than I've had in a long time.

There are many great teachers out there. Jeff is definitely one of them. Choose any of them. Just be mindful not to get stuck in the analysis paralysis / procrastination game (I'm prone to that, hopefully you're not).
  • hawkmancody
    hawkmancody Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the replies everyone.

@ArmyofAdrian I definitely am prone to procrastination unfortunately.
  • ArmyofAdrian
    ArmyofAdrian Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Athlean has an app called 6 pack promise which walks you through progressive ab routines. Its free at first then you can reset and start over or pay $3 for the whole enchilada. I have android don't know if available on apple. Anyway it's a great app worth a try.