Ideal body fat % in Women

Options
So my new calipers came in today. I've measured twice on a three site test, entered it into a calculator on bodybuilding.com and it said I'm at 10.5% body fat, and that I'm too leanfor a woman. I didn't know women are supposed to be greater than 13% BF for a need of essential fats. I need some insight on this.

I want to gain weight, muscle weight, but any weight will do. I've been going over my calorie goal in my diary, for the most part, and staying away from cardio
And I don't exactly have a healthy diet, kind of a junk food junkie.

I have a tiny frame 4'11" 91lbs. I don't feel like I'm too lean, and I'm not severely underweight either. Can someone tell me why women are supposed to be greater than 13%
Thanks

Replies

• tiggs862017
    tiggs862017 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    This is what I found...

Healthy Fat Ranges
    As of publication in September 2000 of an article in “American Journal of Clinical Nutrition,” there was no agreed-upon standard of healthy percentage body fat. Nonetheless, the American Council on Exercise (ACE) gives a guideline you can follow depending on your fitness level. According to ACE's standards, it is normal for female athletes to have between 14 and 20 percent body fat, for fit women to fall between 21 and 24 percent and for average women to have between 25 and 31 percent body fat.
    Unhealthy Fat Ranges
    The American Council on Exercise categorizes you as obese if your fat percentage falls anywhere above 32 percent. On the other end, a woman needs at least 10 to 13 percent body fat or she does not have enough essential fat to regulate many bodily systems.

So I guess I'm still in the healthy limits, but the low end.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Do you still get your period? I thought it was quite likely to go at 14%?
  • tiggs862017
    Options
    Yes, I do. Well, last month I did, lol
    When I was younger, like 16, there were months that I didn't get it. My mom asked my doctor, and he said it was because I didn't have enough body fat.

I just want to be healthy
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if you've posted pictures elsewhere but 10% is lean for a male and nigh on impossible for a natural female athlete. Focus on eating your calories and don't get too bogged down on what percentage you measure at!
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if you've posted pictures elsewhere but 10% is lean for a male and nigh on impossible for a natural female athlete. Focus on eating your calories and don't get too bogged down on what percentage you measure at!

You always hear that, but not really. When I was younger I carried around 11% naturally. My periods were always very irregular, but as a teenager did not affect my fertility. I got pregnant the first time I had sex. Yes...your parents were right, it only takes once. ;) It did affect my fertility the older I got and I couldn't get pregnant around 30 until I added a little fat on. I was perfectly healthy otherwise and looked fine.
  • tiggs862017
    Options

I'm not trying to let it bother me. I was just curious about what my personal BF% was. I've been struggling with loosing unintentional weight. So I started a food diary.
    I've recently started eating like 6 times a day, small meals, if I don't, I can't reach my 2150 calorie goal, but according to my Fitbit​ that is only like 20 more calories than what I burn a day. Should I up my calorie goal? I feel like I'm just maintaining my weight and not gaining. I'm also doing some strength training to help build muscle, but no cardio.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options

You always hear that, but not really. When I was younger I carried around 11% naturally. My periods were always very irregular, but as a teenager did not affect my fertility. I got pregnant the first time I had sex. Yes...your parents were right, it only takes once. ;) It did affect my fertility the older I got and I couldn't get pregnant around 30 until I added a little fat on. I was perfectly healthy otherwise and looked fine.

How was your bodyfat measured? That's probably the cause/issue with people claiming XX% bodyfat.
  • ProfessorPupil
    ProfessorPupil Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    As far as I know, calipers that you use yourself at home are usually not super accurate. Calipers in general are not super accurate. If you're losing weight unintentionally, you may want to see a doctor.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Based on your body picture, you do look very thin, but not to the point to be starving. As long as you do not lose more weight and do not have health issues, I doubt you should think too much about it
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options

How was your bodyfat measured? That's probably the cause/issue with people claiming XX% bodyfat.

Calipers by my coach when taking a weightlifting class in college. I was between 90-95lbs and 5'2". Dexa scan and bod pod last year put me at ~15% at 101 lbs. I have shrunk a little though and am measuring closer to 5' now in my advanced age. :tongue: However, I could have had more visceral fat....or the readings could have been off. Regardless, I think some women can carry lower BF and still remain healthy. I would never try to push below 15% now, but when I was younger there was no trying. It just was...effortlessly. And I wouldn't have ever given thought to trying to put on weight either.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    22 is ideal for me... I like to be a littttle soft but still have large visible muscles
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I think most women look their best between 18 and 24%. This also just so happens to coincide (in GENERAL) with the healthy BMI range and has a low incidence rate for obesity related disease, hormonal imbalances, etc. Dropping below or ranging too high above this is where most individuals run into problems.

FYI- Most bikini and physique competitors come in between 14 and 16% for their competitions. They rarely maintain this bodyfat because it can wreak havoc on their adrenals, thyroid, and their sex hormones. Just to reiterate how low this is.
  • avadahm
    avadahm Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Well if you want to gain (I started just heavier than where you are) go for a 1/2 lb a week and aim at that. You'll definitely gain fat. If you work it, too it may be slower but you'll have a good muscle structure as well.

I attribute my low body fat to absolutely no boobs haha but joking aside, you should change according to what doctors say and what you want. Not the internet :)