Advice on specific sport training

Options
connall46
connall46 Posts: 1 Member
Hello everyone,
I am a Motorcycle racer and i'm at a high level of competition. I train well, I've been at my local boxing club for 10 years now as it is also a passion of mine. Without trying to patronise anyone, for those who are unaware, Motorbike racing is quite demanding on the body especially on the shoulders and legs as we are braking from 130mph down to 50mph in a short distance for example, so a lot of force is pushed through our bodies. I am looking to build muscle around my arms and legs without creating too much bulk because more weight on the bike reduces top speed and also without ruining my cardio. I was just wondering is there any tips or plans that would be recommended for my type of discipline.
Thanks

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    So essentially, you want to get stronger without really gaining mass? You can look into a recomp where you eat around maintenance, follow a structure lifting routine around the core lifts (OHP, Bench, Squat, DL), and you will probably see some increase in muscle while cutting fat.
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I imagine a full-body lifting routine would be appropriate. I envision the overhead press and bench press being fairly specific to the kinds of forces on your shoulders and upper body. I second what psuLemon said. That's going to do the trick. Also, an increase in muscle in arms and legs isn't going to work, you will need your core to anchor that and arm/leg isolation exercises won't get you this but a core lifting program will.

I expect you might benefit from some 'explosive' work with lower weights and faster contraction on the lifts.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    I have spent a fair bit of time behind handlebars and my pegs are well worn so I have a pretty good idea what you are trying to accomplish. I wouldn't worry nearly as much about pure strength as I would muscular endurance and being as light as possible. I would focus on high reps and training to exhaustion and definitely not skimp on the cardio. You want to be relaxed and smooth at the end of a race. Of course, being as light as possible means having your diet on point. Good luck.