Moved to America, now struggling to get under control

Options
123457»

Replies

• fplakecrest
    fplakecrest Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    The Shred Diet and Fitness plan is a good program to loose weight and stay in shape. I've lost over 15 lbs in a month. Very easy to follow and you can buy everything at your grocery. Does require 40 minutes of exercise, walking , aerobics etc to reach your goal.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    To those that have moved to the US...

If I understand correctly most European countries report calories is 100g amounts. Did it make it difficult to transition to portion sizes that are used in the US?

In Australia we get plenty of imported foods, and I buy a lot online. The US labels are terrible imo, and super confusing. Comparing products is more difficult. Our labels have nutrition info in portion sizes and 100g.

Eta - I have the opposite problem to what you've written below. I don't eat recommended portion sizes of most foods, I eat what i want to eat... I'd rather know per 100g what I'm getting, and so I can pick the product that best suits my needs
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    1AutumnDay wrote: »

If I understand correctly most European countries report calories is 100g amounts. Did it make it difficult to transition to portion sizes that are used in the US?

100g = 100g

Hence the need for weighing everything :-)

Yes...believe it or not I do realize that 100g=100g. Maybe I should have expanded my question.

Such as...a serving of my yogurt is 225g...I know that without looking. 28g is a serving of most of the cheeses that I use. Etc...Etc.

If I were to move to the UK and that info was not given I would have to try and remember what a recommend serving was according to what I am use to.

To further explain...I try to eat suggested serving sizes in my quest to eat appropriate serving sizes. I don't always want to have to weigh...I would just rather learn what an appropriate serving size looks like. I was just curious as to how that affected people when the reported weights are different.

• Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Random aside, but one of my best friends is Greek (born here, but her parents came here in the '60s) and other friends and I always love hearing about all the differences between what we ate as kids -- typically US midwestern -- and what she did. It's always amazing to learn that she never had peanut butter growing up or was never faced with the horrors of a typical midwestern casserole or jello salad. But she will slam the things her mom cooked too (and speak of culture shock when being brought back to the more rural place they came from as a kid, from her normal residence in the Chicago 'burbs).

I never had PB until I was 23. Hated it. Now it's one of my favorite. I grew up eating Nutella, yet nobody here knew what it was until a few years ago here. My mom drives 30 mins to buy, what she calls, "real feta cheese".
    Oh, I still don't know what jello salad is lol
  • 1AutumnDay
    1AutumnDay Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Random aside, but one of my best friends is Greek (born here, but her parents came here in the '60s) and other friends and I always love hearing about all the differences between what we ate as kids -- typically US midwestern -- and what she did. It's always amazing to learn that she never had peanut butter growing up or was never faced with the horrors of a typical midwestern casserole or jello salad. But she will slam the things her mom cooked too (and speak of culture shock when being brought back to the more rural place they came from as a kid, from her normal residence in the Chicago 'burbs).

I never had PB until I was 23. Hated it. Now it's one of my favorite. I grew up eating Nutella, yet nobody here knew what it was until a few years ago here. My mom drives 30 mins to buy, what she calls, "real feta cheese".

Since I was little, we always had Nutella in the house :-))
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options

My husband ( American) couldn't understand my joy when I found Nutella at Acme lol. He still thinks it's gross. I think it's heaven
  • 1AutumnDay
    Options

100g = 100g

Hence the need for weighing everything :-)

Yes...believe it or not I do realize that 100g=100g. Maybe I should have expanded my question.

Such as...a serving of my yogurt is 225g...I know that without looking. 28g is a serving of most of the cheeses that I use. Etc...Etc.

If I were to move to the UK and that info was not given I would have to try and remember what a recommend serving was according to what I am use to.

To further explain...I try to eat suggested serving sizes in my quest to eat appropriate serving sizes. I don't always want to have to weigh...I would just rather learn what an appropriate serving size looks like. I was just curious as to how that affected people when the reported weights are different.

For me (and me only haha), I weighed everything religiously for a while. Eventually, I was able to eyeball mostly everything that I was eating every day and I tend to eat the same things.
    I don't need the scale as much any more, but I also don't eat back all my exercise calories .... just in case my eyeballing is off a wee bit x
  • 1AutumnDay
    Options

My husband ( American) couldn't understand my joy when I found Nutella at Acme lol. He still thinks it's gross. I think it's heaven

Nutella is gross ... can't understand this. Hurts actually lol
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options

In Australia we get plenty of imported foods, and I buy a lot online. The US labels are terrible imo, and super confusing. Comparing products is more difficult. Our labels have nutrition info in portion sizes and 100g.

Eta - I have the opposite problem to what you've written below. I don't eat recommended portion sizes of most foods, I eat what i want to eat... I'd rather know per 100g what I'm getting, and so I can pick the product that best suits my needs

So I guess what it boils down to is what we are used to seeing and using.

• Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Dnarules wrote: »
    Dnarules wrote: »
    Yet another member genuinely asking for some help, who didn't word her OP perfectly and is now subject to the usual MFP style of bullying behaviour that 99% of us would vehemently object to if it happened to us in our real lives. "Let's all climb aboard the pedantic express and ride this noob till she crashes!". Sometimes I feel like I've accidentally fallen into a YouTube comment section.

Love it.

Yes, OP worded it a little too strong, but funny thing is how many people that never lived outside US pretend to have a fair view of what she is saying.

Maybe. I also find it funny how many who really haven't lived in the US.seem to have a lot to say about what we have and don't have.

Since you quoted me, I'm going to assume it's directed to me. Having lived in Europe for 22 years and US for 13 years I can make a comparison.

I actually find the comparisons interesting. But some have been way off (not saying it was you).

Well here's what I think a good example. I'm from Greece, I came here and it took me some time to get used to the food etc. I don't cook much Greek food at all. I go to my mom's every Saturday, and she cooks Greek food. I see those dinners as "messing" with my cutting cycle now. When I go back home I panick a little, and am much heavier when I come back. Change is not easy, takes work and adjustment

I wasn't implying changes weren't hard. Of course they can be. My only issue was that a few were implying that it was almost impossible to find healthy coices here, and in many areas, that is simply not true. I think you and I are on different topics :).
  • 1AutumnDay
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »

Nutella is gross ... can't understand this. Hurts actually lol

Nutella and peanut butter are both totally gross. But the separate ingredients that comprise them: peanuts, hazelnuts and chocolate - are all very wonderful.

We can't be friends ;);)

I understand though ... hubby can't stand peanut butter but can eat peanuts .... Wierd