Working Out When Sore

Options
If I have had a day to rest but my legs are still sore, is it okay to work out?

I CAN work out, I am not in an extreme amount of pain but I am still dubious about working body parts that are sore because I feel like its their way or saying they need more rest.

What do you gainers usually do?

Thanks!!!

Replies

• richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    There is a difference between pain and sore. If sore, you might be ok working out, but I'd lower the weight, add reps, make it a less intense session.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    As long as it's not pain from an injury, I typically work through some soreness. I have heard it's good to work through it so that your muscles can adapt and be less sore with time. Which I have found to be true. It is normal to be a bit more sore in the beginning, especially when starting a new program or adding more volume.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I workout everyday. Some days I'm sore, some not. I might modify if really sore, but I'm always doing something.
  • edickson76
    edickson76 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    As others have said, generally speaking you should be fine to work out. That said you may have pulled a muscle (more than a microscopic tear). Monitor your body and see how the workout goes. For example, if during warm-up you are experiencing pain while doing a warmup set, then ease off the intensity or rest it another day.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I find it expedites the easing of the soreness. So if I can just get myself going I know the next day my DOMS will be far less than they would have been had I had another rest day.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I find it expedites the easing of the soreness. So if I can just get myself going I know the next day my DOMS will be far less than they would have been had I had another rest day.

This. Letting sore muscles sit is one of the worst things to do, in my experience. Hell, I don't even have real rest days anymore. My recovery days don't involve lifting, but I still hit some LISS on either a recumbent bike after lower body days, and elliptical after upper. Getting everything moving and blood flowing makes the soreness evaporate for me.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    You absolutely work through soreness. Pain from an injury, on the other hand, is another matter entirely.
  • lifestylechange888
    lifestylechange888 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I find it often takes the soreness away! As I tell my kids, walk it off!
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    However, I'd like to point out that you shouldn't overtrain when lifting either. If you just hit a muscle group hard on Monday - you shouldn't be hitting that same muscle group on Tuesday. Recovery time is equally (if not more) important... I was just thinking this as at my gym there is this skinny kid who comes in almost every day and just does heavy bi's and tri's for an hour and a half. I'm not there on the weekend, but I suspect he's probably doing that 7 days a week.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    The soreness will likely go away once you warm up - you might need a longer warmup session before lifting if you are extra sore.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Sore from DOMs or even injury can be worked through in most cases.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Try taking BCAA's during or after workout (during is best) and an Epsom salt bath at night to ease soreness.

I often workout when sore since I train 5-6 times a week but both of these things have helped reduce the soreness.
  • Thicc_Ziba
    Thicc_Ziba Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    watts6151 wrote: »
    If I didn't workout when I was sore,
    I'd never workout

I was talking about a single muscle tho (i.e. training legs every other day even when they are sore.)
  • Thicc_Ziba
    Thicc_Ziba Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    jseams1234 wrote: »
    However, I'd like to point out that you shouldn't overtrain when lifting either. If you just hit a muscle group hard on Monday - you shouldn't be hitting that same muscle group on Tuesday. Recovery time is equally (if not more) important... I was just thinking this as at my gym there is this skinny kid who comes in almost every day and just does heavy bi's and tri's for an hour and a half. I'm not there on the weekend, but I suspect he's probably doing that 7 days a week.

YES! THIS IS THE ANSWER I WAS LOOKING FOR!
  • lpzsaray22
    lpzsaray22 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Try foam rolling and always give yourself rest days to give your muscles time to recover.