Gaining lean muscle mass

Options
Hello everyone :) I'm new to this app. can anyone give me some advice on some cheapsih foods which would assist me with gaining lean muscle mass? I train kickboxing
every week, any exercise or food recommendations on gaining some lean weight would be much appreciated!

Replies

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    mickowp wrote: »
    Hello everyone :) I'm new to this app. can anyone give me some advice on some cheapsih foods which would assist me with gaining lean muscle mass? I train kickboxing
    every week, any exercise or food recommendations on gaining some lean weight would be much appreciated!

Food won't give you lean muscle mass... neither will kickboxing.... A good systematic lifting program is what you're looking for.

Stronglifts is popular...
  • tomwasilj3w
    tomwasilj3w Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Find out how much calories you need to eat a day in order to maintain and then calculate how much more calories you need to eat in order to gain and the rate you'd like to.

This article will explain how to do that
    http://www.predatornutrition.com/articlesdetail?cid=bulking-plan-for-the-hard-gainer

Now when you do start eatting try to eat lean meals. Chicken breast, steaks, salmon, with a side of brown rice, wheat bread, etc. Whenever bulking it's normal to go up in body fat percentage as well. But set a desired goal to reach and then switch to your cutting phase when you get there.

And you have to do more weight training to help gain mass. Kickboxing is good for burning calories, you might tone up a bit, but you won't really look like a Olympic gymnast or bodybuilder
  • mickowp
    mickowp Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    thanks for the advice guys!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    If your looking for just mass look into a hypertrophy program and eat anywhere from a extremely small deficit to a small surplus.

If you want a combination of strength and hypertrophy there is not a better program in general than Starting Strength. Though a surplus is needed and I would highly recommend buying the book. It has all the info that many other programs lack teaching.
  • ZenZeta
    ZenZeta Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi there! Good advice already, here's my input (especially the cheap part)

1) BUY IN BULK! If you have a local warehouse store (like Sam's Club) stock up on eggs and boneless, skinless chicken breasts there.

2) If you have a discount store around (I LOVE Aldi), you can get eggs there for about $0.89 a dozen.

3) Look for "store brand" stuff. I buy off brand individual plaid greek yogurt (and dress it up like I want - less sugar) for $0.65 each.

Eating healthy on a budget is really not that hard, especially if you're in the "bodybuilding" mindset.

Oats (the ones you cook) are CHEAP, Brown Rice (the kind you cook - just add water and simmer) is CHEAP!!!

4) Look for "in season" veggies or find frozen ones in bulk. Support local farmers by visiting Farmer's Markets).

There's a lot you can buy that will support your efforts to gain muscle)

And I echo what others have said. Kickboxing will definitely get you "skinny" not muscular. You're going to need to supplement with a weight training program and EAT MORE!!!
  • ZenZeta
    ZenZeta Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    One More Thing... you might want to check out the Fit Men Cook website and/ or youtube channel. He offers some really great ways to add variety to the "bodybuilding" diet, and even has a section dedicated to microwave cooking -- AWESOME!!!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Progressive overload while eating all the food...
  • Johncalvinfields
    Johncalvinfields Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Hitting the gym this morning before starting my day wffohs6vw5df.jpg
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I buy ground chicken burgers and lean ground turkey burgers when they are on sale at Harris Teeter (aka, Kroger). There are two Aldi stores here in Winston-Salem but I have yet to go in either yet. No reason, just have not. I am sure that they have a lot of good things (from what everyone tells me). I dislike Wal-Mart (not bashing them....just prefer not to go there) but do get my Sunflower Seeds there. Bulk buying from Costco or Sam's Club or whatever might be a good idea. Ultimately that becomes a storage issue! LOL! Lots and lots of ways to get really good, healthy food on the cheap. Mostly - and just being honest without any attitude - just paying attention for the sales.