Water weight? (Ladies)

Options
How much weight did folks gain after transitioning from weight loss to maintenance that you attributed to water retention? I've gained about a pound and a half after the first week of maintenance and was told that I would gain some weight after increasing my calories and carbs, so I'm on track, I'm just hoping to level out and lose that moving forward. Anyone have a similar experience?

Replies

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I'd say 2-4 would be about right for me. Depends on what phase of my cycle I'm transitioning into maintenance. Late follicular phase may be less, luteal phase just before menstruation, it will look like more.
  • nichell88
    nichell88 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    @bbell1985 due to my birth control, I don't menstruate regularly (really at all) so I don't believe that has an effect. But based on your results, I feel solid, so thanks
  • bbell1985
    Options
    nichell88 wrote: »
    @bbell1985 due to my birth control, I don't menstruate regularly (really at all) so I don't believe that has an effect. But based on your results, I feel solid, so thanks

Yeah, you're doing great. Remember, it's not just water...you also literally have more food weight in your stomach as well.
  • nichell88
    Options
    @bbell1985 well I'm hoping it's not. I'm hoping I'm eating at maintenance so I didn't actually gain anything but water weight. I mean I won't know for sure for a couple more weeks, but that's my hope
  • bbell1985
    Options
    @bbell1985 well I'm hoping it's not. I'm hoping I'm eating at maintenance so I didn't actually gain anything but water weight. I mean I won't know for sure for a couple more weeks, but that's my hope

I'm saying food has weight. You're eating more. There's more food in your system. It can show up on the scale before things even out.
  • Macy9336
    Macy9336 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    My weight tends to fluctuate in a 3lb cycle so I only worry if I go over that.
  • nichell88
    Options
    @Macy9336 did you gain any weight that you attributed to water weight when you transitioned to maintenance?
  • Macy9336
    Macy9336 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    @Macy9336 did you gain any weight that you attributed to water weight when you transitioned to maintenance?

Other than post partum, I've always been maintaining. Its just that depending on how hydrated I am, my weight will vary by 3lbs day to day. So I think it's all water weight but since it fluctuates, it's not really a permanent gain of weight from water. As in I didn't go up a couple pounds and then stay there permanently.
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    I can gain 5 pounds overnight if I do a heavy training day and eat salty food, or cut 5 pounds water weight by eating low carbs and taking a couple rest days. Don't worry- be patient and adjust if needed. You may want to try something like the "Happy Scale" app that evens out your daily weigh-ins and shows your trends over time.
  • elliebath52
    elliebath52 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I lost 35 pounds in 2014/15, and since been maintaining within 0-5 lbs . I only twice hit that maximum 5lbs , once was this month after a heavy carb and sodium weekend (pizza, beer and chinese takeaway !). It was a shock to go from 133 -138 in two days, but logic told me it was water retention and within a week I was back to normal.
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options

FWIW, I am also on birth control but trend low the week after my cycle and high the week before it. I don't see a different during the middle of the cycle as the pill prevents ovulation, but I think you still have to deal with period-type stuff during your placebo week.
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Also, for me it seems to be about 3 lbs. I'm a pound lower the week after my period and about 2-3 lbs. higher the week before it.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Maintenance calories for me are about 2200 and my cut calories are 1550. Because I have to eat 130g protein, plus 60g fat... that leaves me with a pathetic amount of carbs on a cut (130ish) which means when I increase calories by 600ish, they're ALL carbs (or mostly anyhow). 1g glycogen requires 3-4g water to store it so expect to go up a few lbs if you are increasing cals especially with carbs. I see about 3lbs scale weight from the glycogen being replenished but also my muscles look fuller too (yay!) I tend to flatten out on a cut because of the poverty carbs hahah. If you're going to be mentally sensitive to this fluctuation just cut 2-3lbs below your goal :)
  • nichell88
    Options
    storyjorie wrote: »

FWIW, I am also on birth control but trend low the week after my cycle and high the week before it. I don't see a different during the middle of the cycle as the pill prevents ovulation, but I think you still have to deal with period-type stuff during your placebo week.

@storyjorie no, I actually don't get a period at all. I am not on the pill