Bulking gain vs. Cutting loss

Options
Just out of curiosity, how much did you gain on your bulk and how much did you have to then lose on your cut to get to your goal physique?

My first bulk I gained about 10lbs, and lost 3-4lbs to get to my goal. I was pretty comfortable with that (40% of what I gained).
My second bulk I gained 12lbs and I am now down 3lbs but not really close to my goal. That has me kind of worried, maybe the next 2lbs is really going to make a difference, or I may have to cut down lower. I mean I know it makes sense since I likely gained equal amounts of fat to muscle.
I don’t know why but I keep feeling like my bulk wasn’t successful if I have to cut back down so low or close to my starting weight. I know this isn’t the case but it’s this mental thing I am dealing with.
Maybe if seasoned bulkers could come in and share their experiences that would ease my concerns.

Thanks!

Replies

• leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I'm really glad you asked this question! Coming down off my first bulk and I'm having the exact same questions/thoughts.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I would think one of two things...either you end up at the same weight, but lower body fat and more muscle, or you end up higher than you started with same body fat and more muscle. But I've never deliberately bulked and cut before (I just seem to be in a slowwww unintentional bulk :P) so it will be interesting what others have to say.
  • Muscle_for_Fitness
    Muscle_for_Fitness Posts: 2,198 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. My bulk over the winter, I gained 18 lbs over 6 months. I have been cutting for a month and a half and it looks like I will be getting back to the same bf but only about 2 lbs heavier than I was. This is my fifth bulk and cut cycle and my most successful bulk and cut cycle had me add 5 lbs. In all, I have added about 15 lbs of muscle but that is over 5 years so averaging about 3 lbs per bulk/cut cycle. I usually do a slow cut that last about 3 months so I don't feel like I am cutting too fast which can be a problem in retaining muscle. Would love to hear from people that have had more success and how you did it.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    From my experience and from working with a trainer who was a seasoned bodybuilder, he has told me often times you don't (ever) go back to your starting weight. I would focus less on that and more on measurements/body fat %.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    kdiamond wrote: »
    From my experience and from working with a trainer who was a seasoned bodybuilder, he has told me often times you don't (ever) go back to your starting weight. I would focus less on that and more on measurements/body fat %.

Yea I am about 9-10lbs away from my starting weight.. I can't see myself going back down there again with my current body composition.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Anyone else?

Bumping....
  • JohnnyPenso
    JohnnyPenso Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    As someone who is "clean bulking" for the first time, I'm curious about this myself. I see people talking about it all the time but I've never seen any numbers attached to it by real people with real measurements. Great question OP!
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    There is no real answer unfortunately. If you bulk slowly and for a longer period of time, you will probably gain less fat and have a shorter cut than if you gain lots quickly.

Most people spin their wheels and gain/lose the same amount of weight as they haven't actually gained that much lean body mass.
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 888 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Generally it's like this

The first few years you'll gain well with average/good nutrition

After that the muscle gain starts to slow
    Down and you really need to focus on
    Nutrition and routine

After 7-10 years of training you'll be lucky to gain more than a couple of lb
    Of lbm per year

The closer to your natural genetic potential you get the harder it is the gain lbm even with great nutrition and exersice routine

This excludes genetic freaks
  • edickson76
    edickson76 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I can share my somewhat recent cut/bulk cycle. Started cut at 17% bf and dropped 10 lbs. to 8%bf. Now on long bulk so far back 13 lbs. and 12-13% bf. Overall I'm calculating a change of about 8 lbs. of lean body mass.
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I'm doing my first bulk (I'm 5' 6" male) I started at 130 lbs (down from 175 lbs and fat) and about 12.5% BF and I'm thinking of going to 150 body weight and hoping for 10 lbs lean mass since I'm a noob lifter and I'm really crossing my fingers I'm doing things right.

I've heard that if you bulk and cut properly you never get down to your starting weight again, which seems to make sense since your BF would have to go far further down at the same lean mass.