Eating Back Exercise Calories

Options
There are so many opinions concerning whether it's counterproductive to eat back exercise calories or not. Today I burned 822 calories (according to my fit bit) from one hour of spin class and walking 1.5 miles during lunch (I'm sure this number will adjust itself as the day goes on).
I have mfp set at sedentary with a goal to lose 1.5lbs/week. With that said...her are my stats for today:
1200 - 1462 + 822 = 560
Goal. Food. Exer. Remain.

Would you eat back all your exercise calories or not? Why or why not?

Replies

• madirmfp
    madirmfp Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I, personally, only eat 50-60 percent back (most days). Also when I work out I subtract 20 calories from every 100 I burn. I do that because I know machines that I use at my local gym overestimate calories by 15-30 percent.
  • threesixten
    threesixten Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I would only eat back some to be safe – given Fitbit's range of accuracy/error plus the calories you would have been burning even if you weren't exercising for the hour + lunchtime. As poster above said.. maybe 50-60%?
  • sosteach
    sosteach Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I choose not to eat back at this time because I am physically satisfied with what I am eating and I have a lot of weight to lose so for me it makes more sense to skip that option. It is nice to know I have it though if I ever want a second slice of pizza lol.
  • keygirlus
    keygirlus Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Agree with madermfp, I eat back exercise calories either to satiation or approx 50%, whichever's lowest. Read a few articles on the accuracy of your favorite machines and trackers, or get estimates from several different sources, and they vary WILDLY. I don't want to sabotage my goals by under- or over-consuming, but would hate to fall prey to someone else's bad or self-serving maths.
  • sharonwhitehall607
    sharonwhitehall607 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I found this post.... it has been a big question for me. I am aiming to eat back 50%.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    Do you want to eat as much as possible as you lose? I've felt that way for long while.. the goal was to be able to eat as much as possible and get to my goal weight, so, I ate them back.

Then..other times, I just wanted the weight gone...so why would i eat back calories i worked to burn off? I'd eat extra if i felt depleated and that i needed it....but didn't buy into the eat them back group.

Then? What about eating under all week to eat a free meal out? I do that all the time too.

Bottom line...do what works for you and your goals.. weigh each week and make sure you're losing..and track which approach makes you lose fastest and do it..
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I think you should review you activity level. If you are doing that walk daily you are probably NOT sedentary. This is creating an artificially low deficit of only 1200 calories. If you are regularly doing that much activity and you keep it at sedentary I think you should eat back 75%-100% of the exercise calories.

I ate back all my exercise calories up until 2 weeks ago. I started in July 2018 at 237, and as of yesterday I'm 188. So I've lost 49 lbs. half way to my goal. I'm currently set to lose a lb. per week, and my calorie goal is 1550. I started my exercise over a year ago with walking back and forth to work, which I counted and ate back. Little by little I added swimming (only in summer, just got back to that) and 1-2 zumba classes per week. I was eating everything back. I lost weight at the desired rate, until about March. I didn't lose at all in March because it was a stressful busy month and I overate sometimes. In April I lost, but more at .5/.75 rate per week. I decided that since I had been walking 90-110 minutes in my commute for a year that my body was used to it, I was lighter and probably burning fewer calories. I experimented with eating 50% of the calories back, and not counting my commute walking. I do need to add some calories those days when I walk--I'm still expending and I'm hungry. What I've decided to do is to plan around eating 1550 on those days, and if I'm hungry eat a small snack, 100-200 calories at most. .(MFP usually gives me about 400-500 calories for that exercise). When I do a zumba class I am counting it, and I'll eat it all back if I also walk that day, because I get hungry.