2 months after stopping phentermine

Options
Hello MFP,

It's been 2 months since I stopped taking phentermine. I'm still going to the gym burning at least 800-1000 calories. I'm still eating healthy with my cheat days. I try to have my 500 calorie deficit each week.

I've gained 5 - 7 lbs since I've stopped phentermine. When I weighed myself in the morning the first week off it, I was 174/176 now I weight myself 2 month after in the morning and I weight 179/181 my pants are starting to fit a little tighter which is hard to believe after only 5 or 7 lbs of weight gain.

I'm very frustrated because I obviously don't have the same appetite suppression as I had with phentermine. I'm always tired and moody, and I can have 7-8 hours of sleep and still feel exhausted. I normally work out in the evening but I noTice working out in the mornings are way beneficial and I have energy throughout the day. Being tired isn't an excuse for me though, unless I'm truly falling asleep while driving to the gym I don't work out.

I've been doing mostly cardio and avoiding too much lifting. I live plyometrics and boxing but I haven't been doing those because I don't have time. I only have 1 hour at the gym and I'd rather spend the hour burning fat.

I'm beginning to be desperate and get back on phentermine as soon as I see my doctor to make sure my heart is ok to take it. But I don't want to depend on this med in order to be happy and have the body I had 2 months ago when it was alert, strong and agile.

I have hunger pangs but when I end up eating I eat less than I measure so I guess that's a good thing.

But I feel like I need help. I need advice as to how I can get my energy levels back up. I don't want to take phentermine again and I miss my body being the way it was before even if it's just a couple of lbs over.

Help?

Replies

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Since it's been 2 months, its not a physiological addiction, but it certainly sounds like it could be psychological.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,934 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Check your calorie burns. How long are you spending at the gym? 800-1000 sounds like a minimum 3-4 hour workout, maybe longer, daily. I'm assuming you probably aren't doing an intense workout for that long every day. If you're working out for an hour only I'd assume you're not burning more than about 200-300 per workout at the most.

What exercise do you do (and at what speed) and for how long? You said what you're NOT doing (you said you like boxing but that you're not boxing).

If you're hungry all the time, try upping your protein, fat, and fibre intakes and decreasing the non-fibrous carbs. Try different ratios until you start feeling full. I like a 25% protein 35% fat and 40% carb split. Some people like 30/30/40 (p/f/c) split. Some people like a 40/40/20 split. Find what works for you. Some people do well on high carbs (and fibre) instead of protein and fat. You could try a 20/25/55 split. Check what you're at now and change it.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    Check your calorie burns. How long are you spending at the gym? 800-1000 sounds like a minimum 3-4 hour workout, maybe longer, daily. I'm assuming you probably aren't doing an intense workout for that long every day. If you're working out for an hour only I'd assume you're not burning more than about 200-300 per workout at the most.

What exercise do you do (and at what speed) and for how long? You said what you're NOT doing (you said you like boxing but that you're not boxing).

If you're hungry all the time, try upping your protein, fat, and fibre intakes and decreasing the non-fibrous carbs. Try different ratios until you start feeling full. I like a 25% protein 35% fat and 40% carb split. Some people like 30/30/40 (p/f/c) split. Some people like a 40/40/20 split. Find what works for you. Some people do well on high carbs (and fibre) instead of protein and fat. You could try a 20/25/55 split. Check what you're at now and change it.

At OP's size, I'd disagree that she burns 200-300 per workout at most. I'm lighter and burn 330 an hour just walking at an incline.. although yeah it's still nowhere near 800 calories (that takes me 2.5 hours!).
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    VeryKatie wrote: »

At OP's size, I'd disagree that she burns 200-300 per workout at most. I'm lighter and burn 330 an hour just walking at an incline.. although yeah it's still nowhere near 800 calories (that takes me 2.5 hours!).

It's closer to 500 than to 1000. I did a 70 minute 10K(at 240) and calculations put that around 900-1000. And I'm a good bit heavier.

• leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    acabrera23 wrote: »
    Hello MFP,

It's been 2 months since I stopped taking phentermine. I'm still going to the gym burning at least 800-1000 calories. I'm still eating healthy with my cheat days. I try to have my 500 calorie deficit each week.

I've gained 5 - 7 lbs since I've stopped phentermine. When I weighed myself in the morning the first week off it, I was 174/176 now I weight myself 2 month after in the morning and I weight 179/181 my pants are starting to fit a little tighter which is hard to believe after only 5 or 7 lbs of weight gain.

I'm very frustrated because I obviously don't have the same appetite suppression as I had with phentermine. I'm always tired and moody, and I can have 7-8 hours of sleep and still feel exhausted. I normally work out in the evening but I noTice working out in the mornings are way beneficial and I have energy throughout the day. Being tired isn't an excuse for me though, unless I'm truly falling asleep while driving to the gym I don't work out.

I've been doing mostly cardio and avoiding too much lifting. I live plyometrics and boxing but I haven't been doing those because I don't have time. I only have 1 hour at the gym and I'd rather spend the hour burning fat.

I'm beginning to be desperate and get back on phentermine as soon as I see my doctor to make sure my heart is ok to take it. But I don't want to depend on this med in order to be happy and have the body I had 2 months ago when it was alert, strong and agile.

I have hunger pangs but when I end up eating I eat less than I measure so I guess that's a good thing.

But I feel like I need help. I need advice as to how I can get my energy levels back up. I don't want to take phentermine again and I miss my body being the way it was before even if it's just a couple of lbs over.

Help?

How long did you take it before you stopped?
  • Crackertime
    Crackertime Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I took it about five years ago. It was basically speed and gave me awesome energy. I had to quit it and gained weight. I found that building up endurance is the way to go. I do a hard routine that is more than my ability at my pace. I eventually can do the routine and I feel Amazing. Also, weights are really amazing for the same reason. You are challenging yourself, for yourself. I just use dumbbells. I do move up heavier when it's easy again.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I got just about the whole list of side effects when i used phentermine, it was a horrible experience for me! I took it for 2 weeks before i threw them in the trash.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    If @acabrera23 is really doing a 1000kcal workout every day, which is entirely possible, no wonder she's tired! Back off a bit and balance out your life. You may even get into better shape.

When younger, I used to get myself into the workout cycle, where I felt I needed to do big workouts to balance my preferred eating and drinking habits. It's a treadmill (pun intended). Instead, use MFP to balance your eating to your preferred lifestyle. If you get it right, you won't be hungry all the time, either.

Note the drinking part. Alcohol doesn't fill you up, but adds significant calories. It pays doubly to set limits.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,550 Member
    Options
    No such thing as "fat burning exercise". You just burn calories. More than likely, you're NOT burning what you think and likely consuming more than you think.
    Weight gain happens when you consume more than what you burn.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• nonies0401
    nonies0401 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    One thing that helped me immensely - Vitamin B! Get a good complex vitamin B and take it every day. In about two weeks you will have a huge energy boost. I found that the sublingual drops worked really well. Also, definitely start lifting weights, whether they are free weights or gym machines. You have to build up the muscle to help burn the fat. You WON'T bulk up and you will help tighten the skin and lose the 'jiggle.'