Refeeds vs Reverse diet when it comes to weight loss plateau

Options
I just came off a succesfull cut, I went from 178lbs to my goal weight of 155 lbs in about 4 months. The first three months went very well, I lost the weight at a rate that I wanted to, the last month of my cut was pure hell, at one point I was at 157 lbs, I only needed 2 stinking pounds to end my cut...I was eating at 1800 calories and doing 4 days of cardio. Eventually it took me 3 long weeks to lose those 2 pounds.

At that point, I ditched the cardio and decided to do a reverse diet, because I had no clue what was my maintenance at that point, so I increased my calories by 200 each week until I experienced a weight gain. Funny enough, I was losing more weight by increasing my calories and ditching my cardio than when I was at low 1800 calories with 4 days of cardio which made me rethink of my strategy for the next time I cut.

By experience, I can say reverse dieting is a helpful tool that worked for me, but then I read about Refeeds from Mike Matthews. If I understood him correctly, he recommends that when you are on a cut (especially if you are lean) to do a refeed day once every 2 weeks and he recommends to increase your calories by 30% on that day.

Now, I love learning about fitness + bodybuilding and I want to avoid the same mistake I did on my last cut. The next time I do a cut, which one is the better option, doing a reverse diet when I hit a weight loss plateau or doing a refeed day every 2 weeks during a cut as suggested by Mike Matthews. Now I know the reverse dieting worked for me by experience and many may suggest me that because I experienced success with it, but I always prefer to chose the best option so which is why I ask this question to people who have also done refeeds and tell me about their experience. I mean if the majority have had even more success with refeeds, I might as well try that one next time. So what are your views on both options?

Replies

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I'm relatively lean. I do re-feeds. They help me train better that day with the added carbs. I hope that a boost in training is helpful in maintaining muscle mass. Mostly they just make me happy, help with hunger levels, help me adhere to the diet, and keep me from chewing someone's arm off.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Refeeds should be implemented regularly when you are lean. Personally I refeed once per week and eat at maintenance on another day with 5 "diet days".

Reverse dieting is unecessary although can be a useful tool to determine your new maintenance calories. The issue is that you are likely to be in a deficit for longer even though you've "ended" the diet. Which is definitely the case for you as you lost more weight.

Lyle McDonald recommends maintenance -10% for 2-4 weeks before moving to actual maintenance.
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on if you are still cutting or reversing back into maintenance. I don't think cuts are for muh longer than about 12 weeks. So I guess it depends on where you are in that cycle.
  • bbell1985
    Options
    Luna3386 wrote: »
    I think it depends on if you are still cutting or reversing back into maintenance. I don't think cuts are for muh longer than about 12 weeks. So I guess it depends on where you are in that cycle.
    What?
  • Luna3386
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    What?

I was trying to say that I see reverse dieting as a way to ease out of a cut instead of jumping back up to maintenance. But using refeeds during a cut.

Did you not understand me? Or are you trying to say I don't understand this?
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    What?

I was trying to say that I see reverse dieting as a way to ease out of a cut instead of jumping back up to maintenance. But using refeeds during a cut.

I think it's the part where cuts last 12 weeks, cuts can be 4 weeks to 26+ weeks depending on your goal
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    I'm relatively lean. I do re-feeds. They help me train better that day with the added carbs. I hope that a boost in training is helpful in maintaining muscle mass. Mostly they just make me happy, help with hunger levels, help me adhere to the diet, and keep me from chewing someone's arm off.

I have been thinking about doing this. Sunday seems to be the roughest lifting day for me. If I train Sunday morning would it make more sense to do this Saturday? If I am eating at maintenance - I am just trying to figure out the best approach. Should I shave a few calories off some other days and add more carbs and calories Saturday. Or drop fat and protein calories down a little bit and eat more carbs but keep the calories the same?
  • Luna3386
    Options
    watts6151 wrote: »
    What?

I think it's the part where cuts last 12 weeks, cuts can be 4 weeks to 26+ weeks depending on your goal

Thanks for illuminating me! The closer I get the less I think I could handle bulking and cutting. Lol. But I like learning about it!
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    watts6151 wrote: »
    What?

Thanks for illuminating me! The closer I get the less I think I could handle bulking and cutting. Lol. But I like learning about it!

Most people will only 'dirty bulk' the once, as it then takes forever to get the excess fat off lol
  • bbell1985
    Options
    bioklutz wrote: »

I have been thinking about doing this. Sunday seems to be the roughest lifting day for me. If I train Sunday morning would it make more sense to do this Saturday? If I am eating at maintenance - I am just trying to figure out the best approach. Should I shave a few calories off some other days and add more carbs and calories Saturday. Or drop fat and protein calories down a little bit and eat more carbs but keep the calories the same?

Yeah do it Saturday. Carb backloading may be nice too if you train in the morning. The amount of calories will depend on whether you want to keep the same weekly deficit. Raise carbs, keep fat the same or slightly higher, reduce protein. My normal carb days are 150 but I go to 250 for refeed.
  • bbell1985
    Options
    What?

Yes I understand this. Sorry I didn't understand you.