Lean bulking but losing weight.

Options
Hi guys. I started using the app 3 weeks ago to more accurately track my macros. My set up was for a lean bulk at 40 carbs 30 protein and 30 fat. Most days this is pretty accurate 1 or 2 days carbs come in higher than fats or vice versa. I eat pretty much whole foods and eat healthy all week except saturday evening when i have chips and pizza or burgers (you have to right). My problem is since this lean bulk my weight has actually dropped 4lbs and I've eaten more than usual to hit my macros. I've got the right setup. I've even put exercise (weightlifting) at 90mins when i normally do 60 to 75 just to get some calories on my training days (6 days a week). Has anyone else had this problem and how do i adjust this when I'm hitting everything pretty much spot on. By the by I'm lean bulking so i don't want to splurge on calories and end up fat that's not my goal.
Any help would be greatly appreciated

Replies

• Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    Well if you are bulking, you have to eat more calories than you are burning. There's no way around that one. Now the question is how much more.
    How many calories are you eating now?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Eat more.
    Raise your calorie goal either by manual edit of your calorie target or by altering your settings.

A one lb a week weight loss would indicate a daily calorie deficit of 500 cals so you are significantly under eating for your stated goal of bulking.
  • JB035
    JB035 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Your percentages are pretty much the same as mine. 40/30/30
    If you are loosing like stated above you are not eating enough cals, that's true.
    Also a 4 pound weigh fluctuation isn't that big of a deal, unless the weight isn't swinging back up to your original weight.

I'll ask too. What is your total cal intake?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Percentage breakdown really tells us nothing.... You can have the same breakdown whether you're in a deficit, at maintenance or in a caloric surplus.

If you are losing, you're in a deficit and need to eat more. I'd suggest working out your protein and fat in grams - see these as minimums, then fill the remainder of your cals with whatever you like.
  • Bigbaldbane80
    Bigbaldbane80 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Cheers guys. Just a bit more. Daily intake is 3010 cals once training added in it's 3500. Protein is 260g fat is 115g and carbs about 360g. I've hit these targets daily but every so often fat has gone slightly over target and carbs not hit or carbs have gone slightly over and fat not hit but by percentages it's never more than a 4% swing one way and that was at its most. Protein is always spot on. Just a little stumped as I've eaten a ton more than usual to hit these targets and actually lost weight.
  • JB035
    Options
    It would seem like you are eating plenty!

My only other thought is either your activity level has increased or you are pounding out some cardio that is causing you to end up in a deficit.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options
    How are you determining your intake? Do you weigh and measure everything and use entries with the correct information? Most people tend to overestimate, but perhaps you're not one of them!
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    Oh how jealous I am of that 3500 calories a day...

I would continue with what you're doing for another week or so and see what happens.
  • Bigbaldbane80
    Options
    I've scanned everything possible in, as some entries on here for foods are shocking and have no nutritional values listed. Everything has been weighed out much to the annoyance of my other half as she is getting annoyed at me measuring every little thing.
    Ps what's cardio?? Seriously though i hit weights intensely no chatting or texting while I'm there and my job is mixture of office and walking around which like I've mentioned I've set up my macros to reflect this.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options
    I've scanned everything possible in, as some entries on here for foods are shocking and have no nutritional values listed. Everything has been weighed out much to the annoyance of my other half as she is getting annoyed at me measuring every little thing.
    Ps what's cardio?? Seriously though i hit weights intensely no chatting or texting while I'm there and my job is mixture of office and walking around which like I've mentioned I've set up my macros to reflect this.

I wouldn't trust barcode scanning... And you said you're eating more wholefoods? I eat similarly and have very few foods with barcodes! Perhaps check serving sizes, or that calories and macros match up?
  • Bigbaldbane80
    Options
    Yeah checked that too. Only a few have been out with barcode scanning. Most of morrisons fruit and veg is packaged and barcoded, shocking i know but that's for another day. Normally fish i have to watch but i always go online and find nutritional values before adding it in. I only really eat fish and poultry for meats as not keen on much else. Have had to check on more than one occasion whether to add values in raw or cooked as obviously weight varies once cooked. So been quite meticulous with it all.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    So you only started tracking when trying to bulk?

I think this is largely psychological on the "I'm eating loads more than I used to" front. You're actually consciously thinking about it when you weren't before.

Fact remains, if you're consistently losing over time you need to eat more. And it looks like that could be 4000 calories a day. I'm not green with envy at all.....
  • JB035
    Options
    So you only started tracking when trying to bulk?

I think this is largely psychological on the "I'm eating loads more than I used to" front. You're actually consciously thinking about it when you weren't before.

Fact remains, if you're consistently losing over time you need to eat more. And it looks like that could be 4000 calories a day. I'm not green with envy at all.....

I know right! I'd put in some serious fat at 4000 cals. Some people are so lucky!