5 pounds from goal

Options
I started by weight loss journey July 4, 2016. I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and vowed to get in shape! Through MFP, logging and exercising I have lost 67 pounds.My A1C has gone from 8.5 to 5.9. I would like to lose 5 more to be at my goal. I am now very active as I do Orangetheory fitness 4 times a week and walk 30-45 minutes a day 3-4 times a week. I am 5'3" and want to maintain at 116pounds. When I started my journey I was on 1200 calories a day and ate my exercise calories. I now have increased my calorie goal to 1450 and eat the exercise calories. I have been losing around 1 pound a week. I am thinking about increasing my base calories to 1550 to 1600to slow to 0.5 pounds a week. How many calories should I increase to maintain at 116 pounds. Any tips to maintain are appreciated.

Replies

• Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Huge congratulations!

I'm trying to taper into my goal weight as well. After dieting, it's a bit of a change. No one wants to gain it back!

Anyway, a 500kcal per day defecit adds up to a pound a week, so a 250kcals deficit will cause you to lose .5 lbs per week.

Keep strong!

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    MFP estimates give me about 1650+exercise, but its all trial and error:)
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    theresa961 wrote: »
    I started by weight loss journey July 4, 2016. I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and vowed to get in shape! Through MFP, logging and exercising I have lost 67 pounds.My A1C has gone from 8.5 to 5.9. I would like to lose 5 more to be at my goal. I am now very active as I do Orangetheory fitness 4 times a week and walk 30-45 minutes a day 3-4 times a week. I am 5'3" and want to maintain at 116pounds. When I started my journey I was on 1200 calories a day and ate my exercise calories. I now have increased my calorie goal to 1450 and eat the exercise calories. I have been losing around 1 pound a week. I am thinking about increasing my base calories to 1550 to 1600to slow to 0.5 pounds a week. How many calories should I increase to maintain at 116 pounds. Any tips to maintain are appreciated.

Well, for 1lb per week that is about 500calories per day plus 1450 means you should maintain between 1900-2000 calories. :) To lose .5lbs add only 250calories so eat around 1700. Good luck and great work!
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    PS Here's a nice simple calculator you can play around with to see your daily needs:

http://www.calculator.net/calorie-calculator.html
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    c. 1950 + exercise calories would seem to be your current maintenance calories.

A slow taper down to goal (reducing speed of loss) is a really nice plan.
    Well done on your weight loss and improved health markers. :flowerforyou: