Overeating?? I'm starving

Options
Hello all,

I rejoined mfp after gaining 20 pounds during the semester. I'm visibly larger and my pants hardly fit. At 160/165 I was comfortable and I had a good amount of muscle, but ideally I'd like to get down to 150 or 140. Now today I biked up/down hills and was absolutely drenched with sweat upon arriving to work. I ate a big breakfast because I needed the energy and protein for my hike or I'd get nauseous. I didn't bring a lunch, but my mother stopped by with "snacks" for me, including four cookies, which I ate(clearly a bad move). With that, amongst other sweets and sunflower seeds she brought, I am at my calorie limit, including my bike ride home!! I know the cookies were a mistake, but the huge downfall were the few handfuls of seeds I ate. I'm really hungry now and I won't be home until 8pm... Am I supposed to not eat for the rest of the day? I have a long history of BED, anorexia, and bulimia so I have to be really careful with myself. Any advice would be very appreciated... Thanks.

Replies

• tiabernagozzi
    tiabernagozzi Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Kimmy, I have it set to one lb/week, and I did look my exercise. My dairy is open... Mfp put me at 1400ish fo my goals. I usually go over that goal
  • Jriggs46615
    Jriggs46615 Posts: 50 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Hello all,

I rejoined mfp after gaining 20 pounds during the semester. I'm visibly larger and my pants hardly fit. At 160/165 I was comfortable and I had a good amount of muscle, but ideally I'd like to get down to 150 or 140. Now today I biked up/down hills and was absolutely drenched with sweat upon arriving to work. I ate a big breakfast because I needed the energy and protein for my hike or I'd get nauseous. I didn't bring a lunch, but my mother stopped by with "snacks" for me, including four cookies, which I ate(clearly a bad move). With that, amongst other sweets and sunflower seeds she brought, I am at my calorie limit, including my bike ride home!! I know the cookies were a mistake, but the huge downfall were the few handfuls of seeds I ate. I'm really hungry now and I won't be home until 8pm... Am I supposed to not eat for the rest of the day? I have a long history of BED, anorexia, and bulimia so I have to be really careful with myself. Any advice would be very appreciated... Thanks.

I would eat something decent today to make it through the night and start fresh tomorrow. I plan the next day's meals the night before, so I can just throw it together the next day. I haven't been caught off guard since I started a little over a month ago.

Also, when you log your calories, do you confirm the numbers in each entry to make sure they match up with what you're actually eating? I have seen the numbers in entries vary so wildly, you could easily go over your allotted calories each day.
  • tiabernagozzi
    tiabernagozzi Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Kimmy, I have it set to one lb/week, and I did look my exercise. My dairy is open... Mfp put me at 1400ish fo my goals. I usually go over that goal

I got a chance to take a look and I have some suggestions. Please understand this is not judgement - just some ideas of where you might be able to make some changes.
    1. You are using a lot of generic entries - these are added by other users and you have no idea what the ingredients are. For example - one hamburger on a bun, was it a quarter lb burger? Was it a huge bun or one of those little sandwich buns, did they put mayo on it, you have no idea. Log the ground beef, log the bun, log the condiments.
    2. Yesterday under lunch, you basically ate 800 calories of cookies. Add that to the seeds, and yeah it's going to be hard to stick to your calorie goal.
    3. Saturday you ate pizza, a hamburger, a hot dog, and 700 cals of alcohol. I'm all for eating what you like, but you can't eat lots of high calorie, low nutrition foods all weekend and expect to be under calories and feel full. I have days like that sometimes, but I do it knowing it's not a day that's going to help me lose weight :). I'm also often extra hungry the day after I drink a lot.
    4. Sausage on a bagel seems to be a go to for you. Sausage is one of the more high calorie meats, and bagels are one of the more high calorie breads. If you can swap out one or the other, it will be easier to fit in.

Some general tips
    1. Try to focus on getting more veggies and lean proteins (like chicken, eggs, yogurt, fish) to fill you up on less calories. Then fit treats in around them (like wine, cookies, etc) You can have pizza or a big burger and a drink sometimes, but understand you need to plan to eat lower cal items the rest of the day to fit them in.
    2. Get a food scale and try to use it as often as you can. It's a great way to re-learn what a portion size really looks like.
    3. Try prelogging your meals or even a whole day, it can help figure out whether you have too many splurges to fit.
    4. Learn from your bad days. see what foods put you over and just weren't worth it. Which foods filled you up and fit perfectly. it really is a learning process.

I hope that gave you some ideas. It can take some time to figure out a way to eat that will fill you up at the right calorie level that you enjoy, but it's really worth it because once you figure it out everything is 100% easier. Good luck!

Thank you. Yes, I am new to this and trying. Cookies tend to be my weakness :neutral: I am trying to stop with the sausage on my bagel sandwiches after learning that they're not very good for you. Friday was a bad day in general because we were at a fundraising event. Thank you for your input!!
  • beatyfamily1
    beatyfamily1 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    If you lower your carbs, you will naturally lower your calorie consumption and will stop craving those types of foods.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

I got a chance to take a look and I have some suggestions. Please understand this is not judgement - just some ideas of where you might be able to make some changes.
    1. You are using a lot of generic entries - these are added by other users and you have no idea what the ingredients are. For example - one hamburger on a bun, was it a quarter lb burger? Was it a huge bun or one of those little sandwich buns, did they put mayo on it, you have no idea. Log the ground beef, log the bun, log the condiments.
    2. Yesterday under lunch, you basically ate 800 calories of cookies. Add that to the seeds, and yeah it's going to be hard to stick to your calorie goal.
    3. Saturday you ate pizza, a hamburger, a hot dog, and 700 cals of alcohol. I'm all for eating what you like, but you can't eat lots of high calorie, low nutrition foods all weekend and expect to be under calories and feel full. I have days like that sometimes, but I do it knowing it's not a day that's going to help me lose weight :). I'm also often extra hungry the day after I drink a lot.
    4. Sausage on a bagel seems to be a go to for you. Sausage is one of the more high calorie meats, and bagels are one of the more high calorie breads. If you can swap out one or the other, it will be easier to fit in.

Some general tips
    1. Try to focus on getting more veggies and lean proteins (like chicken, eggs, yogurt, fish) to fill you up on less calories. Then fit treats in around them (like wine, cookies, etc) You can have pizza or a big burger and a drink sometimes, but understand you need to plan to eat lower cal items the rest of the day to fit them in.
    2. Get a food scale and try to use it as often as you can. It's a great way to re-learn what a portion size really looks like.
    3. Try prelogging your meals or even a whole day, it can help figure out whether you have too many splurges to fit.
    4. Learn from your bad days. see what foods put you over and just weren't worth it. Which foods filled you up and fit perfectly. it really is a learning process.

I hope that gave you some ideas. It can take some time to figure out a way to eat that will fill you up at the right calorie level that you enjoy, but it's really worth it because once you figure it out everything is 100% easier. Good luck!

Thank you. Yes, I am new to this and trying. Cookies tend to be my weakness :neutral: I am trying to stop with the sausage on my bagel sandwiches after learning that they're not very good for you. Friday was a bad day in general because we were at a fundraising event. Thank you for your input!!

No problem :) I'm sure the holiday weekend affected your choices, I wouldn't hold out my diary this weekend as a great example either! I didn't cut anything out of my diet to lose, but some things had to go from daily to once a week, and some things I don't keep in the house anymore but do eat them when I'm out. You'll figure it out!
  • eliz_fit
    eliz_fit Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I second the suggestion of pre-logging what you intend to eat that day. If I plan a full day's worth of food for myself and know I'll be at my goal if I stick to that plan, it's a lot easier to turn down other treats. Instead of not knowing what I'll eat later, and telling myself I'll make the cookies fit, I have to figure out how to balance things out before adding anything else. It's SO much easier to turn things down when you have a plan for your whole day.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Because of the high calorie items you consumed, you should probably aim for a reasonable dinner (lean meat, veggies can be a large plate of food for 300-350 cals) and have a smaller deficit for today. I'm guessing you are aiming for a 500-1000 per day deficit to lose 1-2 pounds per week on average? If so, then having another 300-350 for dinner would just leave you at a smaller deficit.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options

Some general tips

I still have cookies, but have them rarely, and have them after dinner, and only @ 200 calories worth.

I've found I can't have foods like that earlier in the day - messes me up.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Especially since you mentioned your ED history, I'd really caution you against doing things that lead to over-restricting or letting yourself get too hungry. Keep in mind that over-restricting can trigger bingeing for some people. It seems like your #1 goal, more than anything else, should be NOT triggering a relapse.

If it were me, I'd set my goal to lose 0.5 pounds per week to start with, because losing slowly is better than not losing at all. I'd also calculate my maintenance calories, and I'd give myself permission to eat anywhere between the two numbers in response to hunger. (So if you have days when you're starving, it's okay to eat up to your maintenance calories). Once you've adjusted to that, you can always increase your rate of loss to 1 pound per week, but I'd start very conservatively at the beginning.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    Eat at maintenance today. Drop the rate of loss to 0.5 lbs to allow for less hunger in the future.