Would THC effect Ketosis ?

Options
I've always been curious about this question cause I don't know anyone that smokes and is Keto. But I have heard that Thc stores in your fat so could it impede your bodies ability to get into ketosis.

No I don't smoke regularly, maybe one massive night every second month.

Replies

• CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    THC is sadly poorly studied, and I don't think you'll find anything but opinion on your specific question.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    THC effects energy levels greatly, also appetite. Don't get me wrong, I used to love a good blunt when I was younger, but THC in general is pretty bad for weight loss efforts if you don't have rock solid will power. If you're just doing it once in a while it's no big deal, and no, it won't affect ketosis unless you hit up carb laden munchies.

If your body has no carbs to burn, it has to produce ketones. That's an absolute. The only option it has after that is breaking down muscle which it will try to avoid if you are physically active.

Edit: FYI Fat cells absorb all sorts of everything, not just THC. Toxins, Uric Acid, you name it, it has a chance to be absorbed in the fat cell along with the triglyceride. When the the triglyceride is oxidized the toxins will come out with it and back into your blood stream.
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    It never affected my being nor staying in ketosis and I 'supplement' daily.

I no longer eat at keto levels.
  • tattygun
    tattygun Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Smoke daily and I've been running keto in contest prep recently. I'm rarely heavily in ketosis according to the sticks but then I have quite regular refeeds and my body morphs incredibly quickly on keto, so I couldn't careless about how deeply into ketosis I am. Whether this is affected by THC is anybodies guess.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Sorry folks, MFP does not allow the discussion of illegal substances including cannabis (since it is still illegal at the federal level).

Thanks for your cooperation.
This discussion has been closed.