Tips for working at home

Options
Hello all!

I started a new job today, working from home full-time. My "office" is my kitchen table and I'm a little nervous about the proximity to snacks!

I'm already planning a daily walk at lunch and have gotten rid of my trigger foods, so hopefully, I'm setting myself up for success!

Do any others who work from home full-time have any other tips?

Thanks!

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,131 Member
    Options
    Can you work out of another room?
  • CNG24
    CNG24 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Standing desk! :)
  • lilysillycat
    lilysillycat Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I also work from home and I have no snacks at home. everything here requires cooking. how about use a chain to lock up all the snacks and put the key at a place that is difficult to get to?
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Pre log your snacks and eat according to the plan. Keep all good out of site except for fruit that needs to ripen. Hope your new job works out well!
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    I work from home. I pre log my meals for the day so I can say alright at 3pm I can eat those carrots and I don't snack in between because I can already see my day laid out for me. I also walk during lunch. Working from home is great, I am a much more productive person.
  • k_nelson_24
    k_nelson_24 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    My biggest piece of advice would be to put yourself on a daily schedule. Wake up at the same time every day, work out around the same time, and eat at the same time every day. For example: I wake up at 5 am to exercise, I eat breakfast at about 8, have lunch at 12 pm, a snack at 4, and dinner at about 7:30! My daily schedule may not work for you, but tailor it to fit your day. I find that if I know the exact time I get to eat again, I can normally hold off until that time!
  • ElvenToad
    ElvenToad Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    My biggest piece of advice would be to put yourself on a daily schedule. Wake up at the same time every day, work out around the same time, and eat at the same time every day. For example: I wake up at 5 am to exercise, I eat breakfast at about 8, have lunch at 12 pm, a snack at 4, and dinner at about 7:30! My daily schedule may not work for you, but tailor it to fit your day. I find that if I know the exact time I get to eat again, I can normally hold off until that time!

I've been doing this for 3+ years now, works well for me. I figured hey I put my son on a schedule, why not the same for myself? I eat at 9am, 11am, 1pm, 3pm, 5pm, 7pm, 9pm, and again at 10pm before bed. It's only 2 hours between meals/snacks. I prefer eating smaller amounts more frequently so I spread my calories accordingly. Exercise is 10:15am, and again at 2:15pm.

I get cranky if anything deviates just like my son does :D
  • kcastagnoli
    kcastagnoli Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    You are smart to prepare for this! When I started working from home, I did put on some weight, it was just too easy. I was 115 and got up to 127 - I hadn't weighed that in decades! (I'm short, not skinny.) I am not a good schedule person, so I had to find other ways to prevent the all-day, easy access nibbling.

The best way for me was to not have junk food in the house. And not only that, but I got rid of any yummy, easy to fix food (except veggies). For example: I love the Morningstar veggie patties, but they're frozen food and only takes three minutes to nuke...and they're delicious...and easy to eat more than one - so they're out and are in the cheat food category now. But carrots are super easy to eat and so I always have a lot of carrots and other veggies that I like and I grab those instead of those delicious veggie patties :).

That's what worked for me. Everyone is different, find what works for you and good luck!
  • kcastagnoli
    kcastagnoli Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    ElvenToad wrote: »

I've been doing this for 3+ years now, works well for me. I figured hey I put my son on a schedule, why not the same for myself? I eat at 9am, 11am, 1pm, 3pm, 5pm, 7pm, 9pm, and again at 10pm before bed. It's only 2 hours between meals/snacks. I prefer eating smaller amounts more frequently so I spread my calories accordingly. Exercise is 10:15am, and again at 2:15pm.

***You look fabulous!!!!*** I love your pix, well done!
  • ElvenToad
    ElvenToad Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    ElvenToad wrote: »

***You look fabulous!!!!*** I love your pix, well done!

Thank you very much! 142 pounds lost and in maintenance for almost a year now :)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    When I get enough sleep, protein, and exercise, I don't get the munchies. (But I still can't have trigger foods in the house.)

I am very disciplined about getting some form of exercise at lunchtime - this makes me more productive and energetic in the afternoons.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    WeWork, Cove, or another remote office.