Eat before exercise if diabetic?

Options
I am diabetic. My main exercise is 2 hours of golf, 64 lengths swimming in 25 m pool, 30 mins light cardio in gym, or various distance walking ( never far). What is the best thing to eat before and after each type of exercise? I tend to eat low carb diet with a protein shake for breakfast and after exercise at the moment! Comments appreciated! I am obese by the way as my exercise is not often enough!

Replies

• julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Are you on insulin? What is your blood sugar doing pre and post workout?

When I had gestational diabetes, I had one of my main meals then exercised about 30min later so I never felt the need for a pre workout snack. Post workout, if I was feeling drained, I would have a moderate carb snack. If I felt fine, I would have a low carb snack.
  • raquele3394
    raquele3394 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I like having a banana or fruit before I exercise. I also check my blood to see if I need that banana or not. If my blood sugar is around 130, I will eat the banana, because I know bs will go down!
  • broseidonkingofbrocean
    broseidonkingofbrocean Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Not that the people on MFP don't give great advice but i would talk to your doctor about this.
  • edwardlewis5642
    edwardlewis5642 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am type 2 about 4 stone overweight but blood sugar levels rapidly improving on new tablets