Low Calorie Protein Froyo

Options
smokinbluegrass
smokinbluegrass Posts: 126 Member
edited June 2017 in Recipes
I bought a gallon-sized ice cream maker a couple weeks ago. A week later, I ended up with 25 pounds of fresh just-picked peaches. I couldn't eat them all and they started to go way too soft. Ruh roh. And today, this happened:
6wubec4vfjr4.jpg

123 cals per cup with protein powder, 98 without.

Here's what you need:
**330g chopped fresh peaches and their juice (preferably overripe for more juice)
**4 cups nonfat plain yogurt (Greek is too thick but you can use it to top off...the 32oz tubs are often are short one-fourth to one-half cup)
**1 cup full fat half and half
**165g white granulated sugar
**100g vanilla protein powder (This will act as your thickening agent. Quality is key, just like with crazyravr's cheesecake. I used Impact whey isolate)
**Measuring is key. Ice cream is science.

Here's how it's done:
Mix all ingredients in large bowl and chill, covered, in refrigerator at least one hour. Freeze according to your maker's instructions. Serve immediately for soft serve or transfer to airtight container and ripen in your freezer at least one hour for hardened.

Makes approximately 16 cups (fewer if your freezer isn't cold enough)

The nitty gritty, per cup:
Calories: 123
Total carbs: 17.5g
Sugars: 15.7g
Fiber: 0.2g
Total fat: 2g
Sat. fat: 1.3g
Protein: 8.8g
Cholesterol: 8.8mg
Sodium: 68.1g
Potassium: 170.6mg
Vitamin A: 3.9%
Vitamin C: 6%
Calcium: 11.7%

Replies

• smokinbluegrass
    Options
    I'm going to see what doubling the protein does to the next batch.
  • smokinbluegrass
    Options
    Sodium: 68.1g

That should be 68.1mg, not g. Sorry.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    That is fabulous! :)
  • smokinbluegrass
    Options
    It's a bit icy on day 2. Was super creamy yesterday. Might be worth the extra calories to use heavy whipping cream instead of half and half. Or maybe more protein powder would fix it. I'll have to try again in a couple days.
  • smokinbluegrass
    Options
    Also, I've since learned, having your actual icebox freezer set too cold causes this with yogurt. Ice cream freezers/coolers typically are set higher than home units. Tell me more about how the coconut cream works.