Just getting started. Too many calories?

Options
mslotten77
mslotten77 Posts: 8 Member
Just wondering if there's such a thing as too many? I'm 6'3" and weigh 138#. From what I gather I'm getting borderline dangerously thin due to poor eating habits. I've added a breakfast to my day and just started counting calories. Previously I was consuming 12-2000 a day and the last two days I'm averaging about 4000.

Replies

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Going from 1200 to 4000 is ridiculous and will lead to plenty of fat gain. Use MFP to calculate your maintenance calories and start with that.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Going from 1200 to 4000 is ridiculous and will lead to plenty of fat gain. Use MFP to calculate your maintenance calories and start with that.

Agreed. It would be far better to figure out what a lean bulk (250-500 calories above maintenance) would before you, and then eat at that level. Eating a ridiculous amount of calories for no reason is a good reason to gain a ton of fat.
  • bethany_rose8
    bethany_rose8 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I would set your goal to 2500 and always be sure to be over 2000
  • mslotten77
    Options
    Thanks mfp wants me at about 2780 I'll dial it back some.
  • Skyle33
    Skyle33 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    It shouldn't be so easy to hit 4000 calories everyday if you're making healthy nutrient rich food choices and eating a days worth of vegetables, unless you're exercising like an athlete. Possibly reconsider nutrition plan? And definitely stay above 2000 at the lowest
  • mslotten77
    Options
    Skyle33 wrote: »
    It shouldn't be so easy to hit 4000 calories everyday if you're making healthy nutrient rich food choices and eating a days worth of vegetables, unless you're exercising like an athlete. Possibly reconsider nutrition plan? And definitely stay above 2000 at the lowest

1u38e9sfc942.png

This was yesterday. Really not that difficult breakfast, lunch, and dinner about 1000 each plus a high calorie shake and misc. to get to 4000. Granted its high in fat but I'm willing to guess I'm hovering around 5% body fat right now. Last visit to the doctor I had a scan of my chest done to check out my lungs and they told me then I had virtually no fat on my torso.
  • Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Just make sure you are weighing everything, or if you are eyeballing it, make sure if anything it's more.

Is there a reason that you had been eating 1200-2000 calories before? Or was it that you just never were hungry/thought to eat?
  • mslotten77
    Options
    No reason. Wouldn't eat a breakfast light lunch followed by decent dinner. Some days were worse/better. I'm not scared of ten pounds of fat right now at all. Now I have started doing some simple body weight training at home and will be checking out a gym membership this weekend to keep the fat at bay and focus more on building muscle.
  • mslotten77
    Options
    That being said the day after and now after these calories I feel amazing physically. More energy, more alert, sleeping better than I have in probably the last ten years. I've slowly been cutting the caffine in the mornings because I have more energy. Tomorrow I will be going through my morning routine with out it.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    mslotten77 wrote: »
    No reason. Wouldn't eat a breakfast light lunch followed by decent dinner. Some days were worse/better. I'm not scared of ten pounds of fat right now at all. Now I have started doing some simple body weight training at home and will be checking out a gym membership this weekend to keep the fat at bay and focus more on building muscle.

I can't tell you how many people say this thinking fat distribution will be spread out evenly, only to come back and complain that it went right to their stomachs (which happens when gain quickly). I'd slow it down and do it right the first time.
  • blackcomaro
    blackcomaro Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    X2 as above. Your body won't be used to the extra food... even good food. You will gain fat to quickly. Slow up the intake and get a good workout plan. It will be far less work in the long run!
  • mslotten77
    Options
    Just an update. I've stayed at the 4000 calorie average. Put on 3.5# the first week. Some of which was probably water, I wasn't drinking enough before. Cut out all caffine. Last week 1.7# gained. Been lifting consistently every other day. Will see what next week brings.