It's my time!

Options
Hi Everyone,

My name is Alicia and as the title says "It's my time", time to get into shape, lose the excess weight, hopefully get off some of my meds and get healthy.

I am a 35yo single mum to a teen and 2 furbabies. I work 70hrs/fortnight Night shift and have a lot of things going against me. I also home-school my teen and live on a large property a good 50km from "town" (and where I work).

In the past my weight was always stable in the healthy range (though severely underweight prior to getting pregnant for several years due to medical illness), however in 2013 I developed Hashimoto's Thyroiditis and Hypothyroidism which caused a huge weight gain and it has taken till just recently to get my thyroid levels stable. I am also a brittle asthmatic and can go from ok to being in ICU very quickly, along with a labral tear in my left hip (which is finally being operated on next month) 2 prolapsed discs in my lumbar spine and arthritis in my left knee. I do have several other medical conditions however they aren't except for insomnia pertinent to my weight loss journey though as an aside I will hopefully get my cholesterol under control.

I also have several anaphylactic allergies including all seafood and crustacea, sesame and high fructose corn syrup (along with a number of drug allergies), I am also lactose and gluten intolerant.

I started back on MFP 6 days ago and average intake of 600-900 calories/day which yes is well under my 1200 but I am eating exceedingly healthy foods and not feeling hungry.

I work out most days for 30-45 mins at home and at work spend a minimum of 4hrs on my feet walking at a good pace. At the moment it doesn't feel like anything has come off and I do need to get scales so I can do a proper bare weight (which I will be in the morning).

My furkids love to join in my exercise which at this stage is cardio and a modified circuit at home with each "activity" interspersed with a 50-100m run. Modified with a Michelle Bridges workout for weightloss.

I am doing this for me primarily but also for my son as I am the only person he has.

If anyone has any suggestions or words of encouragement I would love to read them!

Thankyou!

Replies

• Happyme2009
    Happyme2009 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Hi Alicia, sorry to hear about your problems. I have Hashimoto too, plus herniated disks and arthritis in my knees. Also a single mom to a teen daughter, plus a dog. I gained 50 lbs in the past 3 years, only to discover the Hashimoto with hypothyroidism this year.
    First things first.
    Try to find your faith. Praying and believing helps.
    Secondly , reduce your stress load. Why are you home teaching your teen ? She should be in school. How could you possibly home school her and work 70 h a week plus do all the chores . Wow. Seems crazy to me, sorry to say that.
    Thirdly, get your medication under control . Ever since I was finally diagnosed and put on various amounts of Syntroid ( plus rAw thyroid, iodine, B12, chromium, selenium , etc ) I started feeling more energetic and better overall. Plus get some high quality supplements of arthritis, like Curcumin, Glucosamine with MSM , etc
    Fourthly , have the courage to say to yourself you deserve more than living to pay the bills, walk the dogs and feed and teach your child . Do something for yourself once in a while ( for me is makeup , or perfume, makes me feel more beautiful and that increases my self esteem ) .
    Having good relationships would help too, myself I haven't had any person in my life for several years now, but eventually I would like to.
    And finally. , back to square one, have faith !
    Xoxo
    P.
  • AliciaRenee1
    AliciaRenee1 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi Alicia, sorry to hear about your problems. I have Hashimoto too, plus herniated disks and arthritis in my knees. Also a single mom to a teen daughter, plus a dog. I gained 50 lbs in the past 3 years, only to discover the Hashimoto with hypothyroidism this year.
    First things first.
    Try to find your faith. Praying and believing helps.
    Secondly , reduce your stress load. Why are you home teaching your teen ? She should be in school. How could you possibly home school her and work 70 h a week plus do all the chores . Wow. Seems crazy to me, sorry to say that.
    Thirdly, get your medication under control . Ever since I was finally diagnosed and put on various amounts of Syntroid ( plus rAw thyroid, iodine, B12, chromium, selenium , etc ) I started feeling more energetic and better overall. Plus get some high quality supplements of arthritis, like Curcumin, Glucosamine with MSM , etc
    Fourthly , have the courage to say to yourself you deserve more than living to pay the bills, walk the dogs and feed and teach your child . Do something for yourself once in a while ( for me is makeup , or perfume, makes me feel more beautiful and that increases my self esteem ) .
    Having good relationships would help too, myself I haven't had any person in my life for several years now, but eventually I would like to.
    And finally. , back to square one, have faith !
    Xoxo
    P.

I home school my son because he has ASD and after being seriously bullied, assaulted etc in his first year of high school, not getting the learning support he needs etc I had to try something else and this is working, he has gone from D's and failures to getting A's a lot of the time.

I work a 35hr week if averaged out, I work 10hr nights so 7 shifts in a 2 week period and as im an insomniac thanks to the PTSD I may as well work, come home and do school then sleep and back to work. The slow cooker is my biggest friend haha.

I have the items (special ordered) to make golden paste just haven't found the time yet but will soon, there are a lot of supplements I can't take due to allergies (of the anaphylactic kind). My thyroid levels are in check but as I have a few autoimmune disorders I tend to get unwell often from the sick kids at work (paediatric RN).

My "me time" is the occasional hairdresser or beauty therapist appointment and I catch up with some girlfriends every now and then.

I have also recently met a man who has been through the same crap I have with narcissistic ex's and parents so we understand each other well and at this time it's looking promising between us :smile:

I have surgery on my hip in a few days to hopefully fix the issue there which if it works will allow me to exercise more freely.

Thank you so much for your kind words and advice @Happyme2009 xx